Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clutch won't disengage ONLY ON STARTUP

Default Clutch won't disengage ONLY ON STARTUP

1981 original Westy, I purchased 2011 from Vancouver Island (salt air?), drove back to Ontario no problems at all. Used sparingly last summer until problem started...clutch won't disengage after it's been sitting (even for short periods). Starting in gear to break loose works, with NO other recurring symptoms until the next time it's started after being parked. Shifts fine, clutch works /feels normal. I don't really mind dropping the trans to check it out but was just wondering if there are any tricks if this is a common problem. I have a 1942 Ford N series tractor that used to do the same thing, but on those, the problem can be resolved by drilling a 1/4" hole in the bell housing and emptying a can of brake clean (directed everywhere) while it's running to rinse oil & dirt from pressure plate/input shaft. Worked like a charm, problem vanished. Any Westy tricks for same?
    Thanks,
    Seann

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Let me get some clarification on your issue. Are you saying that if you start the vehicle in neutral, depress the clutch pedal, engage 1st gear and let the clutch out the vehicle does not move? Or, is it difficult / impossible to engage a gear with the engine running? I am not aware of a common issue but just make sure there are no issues with your slave / master / fork before you pull the gearbox.

Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsborn View Post
    Let me get some clarification on your issue. Are you saying that if you start the vehicle in neutral, depress the clutch pedal, engage 1st gear and let the clutch out the vehicle does not move? Or, is it difficult / impossible to engage a gear with the engine running? I am not aware of a common issue but just make sure there are no issues with your slave / master / fork before you pull the gearbox.

Happy hunting.
    Can't engage when engine is running. Have to shut off and start in gear to "break loose". Once that is done, it's fine all day until you park it again. I have a 1942 Ford 2N tractor that did the same thing, drilled a 1/4" hole in the bell housing and emptied a can of brake clean in there with clutch disengaged, engine running. Completely solved problem. That was 5 years ago. I'm going to try it on this, will post results. Will try one hole in disc/pressure plate area (to rinse oil from possible seal leakage), and one for input shaft/spline area. If that doesn't work, I'll drop the box.
    Thanks,
    Seann

Hi all. I have a 1985 Westy with a 4 speed trany. I will have the car runnig and press the clutch and I hear a grinding noise in the trany area. Sometimes it goes away and then it comes back. can you guys help me that have experience. This Mac Gyver can't figure it out. I need some other VW Mac Gyver help. Thanks :-)

If it occurs only when depressing the clutch pedal, sounds like a release bearing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Papi MacGyver View Post
    Hi all. I have a 1985 Westy with a 4 speed trany. I will have the car runnig and press the clutch and I hear a grinding noise in the trany area. Sometimes it goes away and then it comes back. can you guys help me that have experience. This Mac Gyver can't figure it out. I need some other VW Mac Gyver help. Thanks :-)