Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Westy wannabes

Default Westy wannabes

Greetings from the az desert near Quartzsite.
    We are full time rvers looking to return to our westy roots. Have been rving since 1992 with first 2 years in an 81 westy aircooled. I am Retired from education admin and RV solar electric business. Enjoy gardening camping and traveling. We now live in a 39'diesel pusher solarized Motorhome and are spending more time in a SoCal RV park.
    Have opportunity to buy a 1984 diesel westy for around $15k. Mint condition body with towbar and spare, 88k (20k miles on rebuilt diesel. Oem got dusted) new tires etc. I know and trust seller. My dilemma is diesel vs gas. 30 mpg but what about service and smog test (ca). We drove our 1981 westy for 2 years to central America and Mexico with a rebuild from h*** in Oaxaca, mx (that's another story). Any xperience and suggestions to look for with the naturally aspirated diesel westy to share? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Well we bought the westy. Pretty excited. Any tips on how to drive it for best performance and not to burn it up? Do valves need regular adjustment? How often? What is best oil filter combo?
    Thanks for any help! Tom