Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canvas in winter

COZMO: You mention your top isn't waterproof and doesn't breath? Am I reading that right? Insulation value of canvas not withstanding, if you are having trouble with leaks or breathing, it sound like something has happened to your canvas. The VW canvas does breath and although technically called "water-resistant", it will stand up to hurricane force driving rain without leakage.

Perhaps someone has put a non-breathable coating on it which both stops breathing AND prevents the fibers from swelling when wet which is where the waterproofness comes from. Some of the canvas treatments are waxes, oils or petroleum products that, though "waterproofing," do more harm then good. (Thompson's WaterSeal, for one.)

Even Gore-Tex, which I dearly love, will allow vapor passage BOTH ways -- it depends on pressure inside. In wearing apparel, the heat of the body tends to increase pressure within the garment and allows moisture VAPORS to push through the small holes, while larger water droplets are repealed. But that will not hold true if the pressure is reversed -- why you rarely see it in tents or awnings because they don't generate the internal pressure.

I think Gore-Tex would work in a VW pop-top because there is typically a high heat differential, with bodies, cooking & heat going on inside, to keep the outward vapor pressure.

Like nosliwmit, I'd like the side windows like the early Type II's so I could get a better cross-draft ventilation, but that will have to wait until a major repair/replacement. I'd be more interested in an insulation barrier.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

So, from these previous posts I think I hear that it is safe to spray your canvas with a waterproofing spray like Silicon, correct?

With a waterproof silicon spray SPECIFICALLY MEANT FOR CANVAS. You don't want to lather it up with the stuff in the shop -- there may be driers or other additives NOT desireable in canvas. But you can get the canvas stuff at any Wal-Mart type store or a sporting goods store.

parking with something wrapped around their Pop Top that was obviously meant to insulate and prevent heat loss. I knew I needed one of those but it was late in the evening and I never got to speak with my fellow campers as to where it was acquired and how well it works.
    I inquired at Go Westy but all they had were the Raincoats and thought it was a custom job.
    I too am looking for an insulating device for the Pop Top but have been unsuccessful and am kicking myself for not leaving a note!

This insulator would most likely have to removed and stored during travels but would be worth the minor trouble for warmer nights and the room. I am trying to avoid making something but that may be the quickest solution.
    Anyone know any green eurovan owners in BC? Please tell them we need a visit to the board!!
    Brian

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: 86Syncro ]

Howdy Campers, Capt. Mike, In my humble opinion, if the temp is below freezing, condensation is challenge to watch out for. Frozen canvas in the AM is very hard to fold. I'm using a Coleman Catalytic Heater (US$65 rated @3,000 btus) that runs for hours on those handy green cans. The heater is rated safe for use in small dome tents. So with the ventilation options in a Westy and a reliable CO detector there should be no danger of CO poisoning. There is plenty of heat to keep the interior dry with the top open and with the top down for snow storms it is really balmy. Next on the project list is fabricate, using a light wool felt,(see old wool blankets) cut match the lines of the canvas and fixed with Velcro. A double layer of fabric with moderately dead air in-between would allow greater thermal advantage. There may still be some condensation on the top but at least you can get it down.
    Cheers, Steve

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Steve Williams ]

Steve,

I bought a similar heater, but have not used it as of yet. I belive I have the sport model, which is catalytic in function, but without the option of temp setting. I thought just opening a window, etc would regulate the heat. My plan is to use it to keep the westy warm at night with a CO2 detector. Your post was dated 2001, how has this worked in the long run?

This topic is for CANVAS in the winter; auxiliary heaters have their own topic in the HEAT & A/C forum.

Hi all,

Hey any ways or tips for save as well as protect my self against Winter?
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 10-31-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Remove URL

Hi Guys and Girls
    When we camp in the winter I have a hard board insulation made up to cover my canvas on the inside of our bus. It is silver back both sides. The insulation part is the same thing that coffee cups are made of. It is 3/8 thick and has a r value of 21. Along with my 1500 w heater (block style ) we stay real warm. With out electric ,I use my little buddy with a window cracked.
    Karl

Check out this company:

Fancher's Upholstery http://fanchers.com/59/VW%20Stuff.htm

They make an external waterproof/insulated wrap for pop tops.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 03-16-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Add link; email blocked

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12