Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternatives to A/C -- vehice parked

With the Eurovan models. there is an open space underneath the bed. Why wouldn't it be possible to install a small window ac unit on a sliding tray, similar to what they've done on the small Quicksilver campers, and, when stopped, pull the unit's rear through a hatch cut into the rear door. The door could be secured then externally, when in motion, with sliding bolts and/or locks. You would have to be able to reach the controls from beneath the bed and inside the camper, and figure out where to plug it in. Could it be done?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I just spent memorial day at a fesival with my new air conditioner. I purchased a 5000BTU GE for $104 after taxes at Wallmart and it weighs 46 pounds. I placed it in the drivers window and opened the supplied accordian "spacers". I moved it far enough in to get the proper tilt. I took some cardboard and good ol duct tape to enclose the space around it to keep the air in and rain out. I added a bungee cord attached to the rear of the unit and the luggage tie down, but this was overkill. It worked perfectly. At 46 pounds, I'm sure it would ride fine on the luggage rack. I plan to make a simple mount and put it up there to live on my next trip. Oh yeah...I put it in the drivers door so 1. I could use the passenger side swivel chair and 2. to keep from having a condensation puddle on the passenger side of the van.
    Bill

Here is our homemade setup. Downside is you need 110 power.

Other view. The collar is made from Sunbrella. It is double layer where possible and has reflectix insulation between the layers. Magnets hold it to the window frame and Velcro to the ac unit. I bent up a peice of aluminum to sit on top of the door. The brackets etc are made from aluminum as well, with hardware from local HD. The screen protecting the AC is a cut down dog dog screen. If you have a dog and a screen door you will recognize it. The brackets on the AC unit are drilled offset, so they fold out of the way when packed. Sets up in about a minute and is adjustable for unlevel areas.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123