Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing boxer style engines in upright models

I have a 71 VW Pop top camper that has a standard 1600 engine in it and I was curious to know what I need to do in order to replace it with an 1800 engine (currently in a Porcshe 914). The 1800 is free to me through a friend and I'd like to take advantage of it. I'm curious to know if it will bolt onto the standard transaxle or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 12-24-2008 at 03:09 PM.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

You are aware the 914 4-cylinder used a Type IV long block assembly purchased from VW? Thus it would be similar to changing to the '72 & up Type II engines. The difference is Porsche added their own plumbing & electronics.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 12-24-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Transferred from another post to consolidate like topics.

71-73-75 engine to 68

Bootie Junior Member # 1528 posted 07-10-2001 11:22 PM

I have a 68 camper with a good body and no engine, I have a 71, 73 and 75 all with marginal bodies. I know the 71 engine would be a easy replacement but would prefer the 73 or 75. Is it possible to but this in the 68, the biggest problem I see is the tin.

Default VW Type 4 style engine transplant in 1968~71 VW Type 2

In Great Britain, the legendary Arthur Barraclough, whose British specification, 1970 VW "1600" Type 2 Devon campervan "Rosie" was displayed at VW Vanfest 1995, eventually transplanted a British specification, 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2 engine, with factory-stock twin Solex carburettors and DIY starting-handle (starting-crank, in North American parlance) conversion, after suffering engine failure with three VW Type 1 style engines, during his trans-continental treks, in various parts of the World, in Europe and far beyond, totalling nearly 250,000 miles.

In correspondence I had with him, before his death in mid-1996, at the age of 82/83, he said that it was a tight squeeze, fitting the VW Type 4 style engine, between the more closely-spaced 1968~71 VW Type 2's longitudinal chassis members, plus modifying the engine-compartment perimeter to obtain a good air-seal, together with modifying the rear engine-support beam and associated chassis mounting brackets.

I am not sure which transaxle Arthur used, but I suspect he also transplanted a 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2 transaxle as well. It is possible to mate a VW Type 4 style engine, to a 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2 transaxle, but there are issues which need to be addressed; all of which are repeatedly discussed on The Samba forum:

(1) Support of the VW 1600 Type 2 transaxle's shorter input shaft, by the Type 4 engine's crankshaft or flywheel centre.

(2) The excessively large size of the VW 2000 Type 2 engine's flywheel & clutch combination, which either requires substitution of VW 2000 Type 2 transaxle clutch housing or substitution of the VW 17/1800 Type 2 flywheel & clutch combination.

Arthur's much-modified & upgraded campervan "Rosie", was bequeathed to the Peter Black Museum, in Yorkshire, but I have since been told that it was later bought by a member of the British, Volkswagen Type 2 Owner's Club, of which Arthur was an honorary life member.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 12-24-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Remove redundant quotes
    Nigel A. Skeet
    Technical Editor, Transporter Talk magazine
    Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club
    http://www.vwt2oc.com

Much modified & upgraded, British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2, Westfalia Continental campervan, "Heinzwei"

Wink 1974 VW "1800" Type 2, with 1980~83 VW 1600 Vanagon CT/CZ-series engine

This picture, of a 1980~83 VW 1600 Vanagon (i.e. T3 or Type 25), CT/CZ-series, air-cooled engine, installed in a British specification, 1974 VW "1800" Type 2 campervan, was originally featured in:

David Eccles, "Peaches & Dream", Volkswagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 5, Winter 2001, pages 6~9.

Note the following interesting features:

The engine's associated coverplates, appear to be fully compatible with the vehicle's engine-bay perimeter.

Engine cooling-fan housing, similar in concept, to the VW Type 3 & 4 engines.

The heating & demisting system booster fan (directly driven by the alternator shaft), independent of the engine-cooling fan, whose inlet could be connected via a shaped, rigid duct and flexible spiral-reinforced hose, to the passenger compartment, in order to recirculate warm air, through the exhaust heat exchangers. Similar considerations also apply, to transplanting a 1980~83 VW 2000 Vanagon (i.e. T3 or Type 25) air-cooled engine.

Crankcase with cast-in oil-filter mount (not visible in the above picture) of identical pattern to that of the 1983~92 VW 19/2100 VW Vanagon, water-cooled, flat-four engines.

Single, central carburettor, with an inlet-manifold, exhaust pre-heating facility (not visible in the above picture), identical in concept to that of the VW Type 1 engines.

The inlet manifold, beneath the carburettor, of the later water-cooled flat-four engines, with single carburettor, instead features a self-regulating, electrically-heated "hedgehog".

The specific link to the Volkswagen Audi Gevaert on-line catalogue page, for the 1980~83 VW 1600 Vanagon (i.e. T3 or Type 25) inlet manifold, with exhaust-gas preheater pipe connections (described on the website as: SUCTION PIPE / INTAKE CONNECTION / 1.6ltr. / CT,CZ ), is as follows, but note that in order to view it, one must log into the website, as a registered user:

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/T2/1980/4/49/54106/

For those of you who are not acquainted, with the 1980~83 VW 1600 Vanagon (i.e. T3 or Type 25), CT/CZ-series, air-cooled engine, the following two links give more detailed descriptions and illustrations:

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/ct-cz.shtml

http://www.type2.com/library/engineg/boxeng.htm

For more durable, VW Type 1 & 3 style and 1980~83 VW 1600 Vanagon air-cooled engines, one can adapt the 68•9 mm or 76•0 mm stroke crankshafts, with matching connecting rods and 5-bolt flywheels, from the 1983~92 VW 19/2100 Vanagon (i.e. T3 or Type 25), 1913 cc or 2109 cc, water-cooled, flat-4 petrol engines, which fundamentally, were merely a further development, of the VW Type 1 Beetle style and 1980~83 VW 1600 Vanagon, air-cooled engines. In addition to the stronger 5-bolt flywheel attachment, the crankshaft has larger bearing journals and extra webbing, which reduces crankshaft whip.

Although it is rumoured that bearing sets for the water-cooled, flat-four petrol engines, are hard to obtain in the USA, I believe they are readily obtainable in Great Britain & Europe. The early-model 1913 cm² engine has a 215 mm diameter clutch, whilst the 2109 cm² & late-model 1913 cm² engines, have a 228 mm diameter clutch respectively, so these are likely to be subject to the same clutch-housing clearance requirements, as the 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2, 1972~75 VW 17/1800 Type 2 and 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2 engines.

This picture of a 1983~92 VW 19/2100 Vanagon, water-cooled, flat-four engine crankshaft & flywheel in a VW Type 1 & Type 3 style or 1980~83 VW 1600 Vanagon engine, courtesy Laurie Pettitt.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-10-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Remove other publication listings
    Nigel A. Skeet
    Technical Editor, Transporter Talk magazine
    Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club
    http://www.vwt2oc.com

Much modified & upgraded, British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2, Westfalia Continental campervan, "Heinzwei"

Default Installing boxer style engines in upright models

I know you can do a bseries but what other engines can be swapped in without a problem or what measurements would one check if wanting to swap any other engine in thank you

By the way, what car auctions services do you know? I recently investigated http://www.carfrom.us automotive auction. I encountered good pre-owned DODGE CHARGER 2009 . I'm pleased that i got vehicle history report before buying. It had burn - engine damage. Be secure and always run car history check free before buying.