Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bunks, Cots and Hammocks

In the past, when we'd sleep in a rest area along the way, we'd hesitate opening the pop-top. As a result, our son Nikola used to squeeze in with us on the bed.

Little Nikola, who is now 14 and taller than his mom, weighs over 100 lbs. and no longer fits in the bed with us.

Anyone have any experience rigging a hammock at the front of the vehicle over the driver and passenger seats?

The one offered at GoWesty is listed as a child cot. We have a netting-type hammock that I was considering wrapping around the top of each door.

However, I'm a little concerned about damaging the paint on the doors or the doors themselves.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

The 'cot' that was standard equipement over the seats in the earlier models of Westy (Type II era) was specifically for children <65 lb.

A 100 lb. child's activity, even in sleep, will put well in excess of that weight on any mounting. Rolling over, getting in & out, etc. Anything that wraps around the door and is then closed on can warp the door hinges -- a serious problem to repair as they are not easily adjusted -- and will most likely mess up the weatherstriping & seal.

What is your aversion to popping the top & using the upper bunk? We've been doing it in rest stops for that 'nap' for over 18 years and never once been questioned or had a problem. However, we do limit ourselves to just a few hours; not overnight camping.

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

2000 Westy bed

jim k Junior Member # 3523 posted 03-18-2002 01:17 PM

Have a 2002 Eurovan Westy Weekender when lower bed is opened, surface is not level. @ dealers looked at bed and said - thats the way it is ant ideas on how to level? This is my 4th Westy, never had a problem but this is a pain. Front section is lower by a couple of inches, this is where we put our heads when sleeping. Can't seem to find any adjustments - any ideas appreciated.

Jim

We have 2 boys - 6 & 8 and they sleep up top. This works best because they go to bed earlier and it gives us the freedom to come and go from the Westy as we like.

The only problem is what we call "Van Diving". Our boys occasionally get disoriented and fall out. Does anyone have any suggestions for rigging up a fold down bed protector? We had that slides under a childs bed, but it was too bulky under the foam pad. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Often the 'bed rail' needed is not so much an absolute barrier as it is something that gives the sleeper something to bump into that will cause them to fidget in another (safer) direction. Instead of thinking of 'fold down' and permanent, consider something that will allow you to put up that barrier at night only.

You can put some sort of socket arrangement on the front edge and use a 'fence' that slides into the sockets, storing the fence between or behind the mattress when the bed is folded up. Best example I can give is a miniture version of the panels of a stake-bed truck or trailer. Any decent machine or welding shop can make you a couple of sockets that screw to the bottom or lead edge of the mattress frame and the fence is nothing more than a couple of verticle pieces that fit into the sockets and have some horizontal slats, or even a cargo net style retainer.

For that matter, if (And I'm NOT recommending it) you are willing to drill holes in the fiberglass pop-top, you can attach mounting points to use one of the trunk 'cargo nets'. They require only 4 places to attach their corner hooks. I suppose epoxying a couple of attachment points to the inner roof would work as well, though both will leave permanent evidence to the roof. Using the 'stake' idea, You could even make two corner 'fence-posts' to attach the net to.

Mostly a matter of thinking "outside the box." Too many people are afraid of custom and presume if it can't be found at the hardware store it's impossibley expensive. Something like the sockets need be nothing more elaborate than a couple of pieces of pipe or square stock with an angle bracket welded to it. With little A/C MIG welders now common in home shops, anyone could knock one together for $5 worth of materials from Home Depot. Check your buddies' garages!

Shona, We had the same problem with our 3 year old and our '89. We went to a thrift store and found an item that is designed to fit between the box spring and a mattress of a regular bed. It has two fold out legs.It is used to keep someone from rolling out of a bed. Ours is 48"x12" with a net material filling the void.The two fold out legs perfectly fit on either side of the upper bed. We attached a Nylon strap on each leg and they fit between the bed and the van frame when the bed is folded down.The unit is about 16 inches tall when set up. When not in use it fits behind the upper bed. Just ask around a bed store or a baby/kid's furnishings dept or store and they should be able to direct you as to where you can get one. If you have a thrift store around check there. My wife says she still sees them from time to time. If you have no idea what I am talking about I will E-mail you a picture.

Hi
    I`v just got a 1976 Westfalia in grate shape. I can barely sleep in my house, couse I prefer to sleep in it.
    I want to know where to store the two iron pieces from the child cot al the front.
    Thanks
    Miguel Angel
    logus@telcel.net.ve

The front cot storage is under the REAR seat. Lift the seat up and you will find two notches in the sidewalls near the front face. The cot 'rolls' up and the metal arms lay in those notches.

Concerning the childs cot over the front seats: Are there different lengths of frame for early and late campers? I picked up a cot at a swap meet and when I got home found out it didn't fit. An inch short and canvas width was also narrower than should be.

Yes; they are different; the later models used a sliding side system that actually adjusted for length between stowed & in-use position.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast