Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory shop publications -- Bentley Publishing

Default Factory shop publications -- Bentley Publishing

I would like to purchase a manual (manuals) for my 92 Euro CV. Is the Bentley the best one to get? Is it a 2 volume issue?

Thanks
    Jay

Moderator Note: This is the correct forum to discuss the Bentley publications themselves and Bentley Publishing as a vendor. Comments on obtaining the Bentley from other vendors belong on that vendor's topic.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Yes; available from the site's bookstore link, site sponsor GoWesty and your VW dealer. Suggest you note the Message Forum Guidelines, #2.

You will find others' experiences on ordering their Bentley under PARTS, "Bus Depot" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] & this formum under "Site Bookstore . . ." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The latest edition for 1992-1999 models is a 2-volume set. Hope you have lots of free evenings to read it! You will be amazed at how much you learn about using & maintaining your camper BEFORE you need it!

Bentley has a web site, www.rb.com. They also have a number of other publications, including many original owners manuals and some camper supplements.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 05-23-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Workshop Manual -- Volkswagen Transporter 1963-1967

This book is reprinted by Bentley after being out of print for over 20 years. It is the original and a delight to read, besides being the best I've seen for that era of Type II's, the old Split Windows. I particularly enjoy the old photos of the mechanics in their smocks, and everything is done using the tools of that era, before there was a special tool for everything!

Unfortunately, it doesn't cover the earliest models from the 50's & early 60's, but would be a valuable guide for those owners as well, since many items did not change. It covers the 1200 & 1500cc engines. 918 pages & 1,450 illustration & diagrams.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 05-23-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Repair Manual Type 2

Not technically a Bentley since it was published for VW direct, this 1978 shop manual, VW P/N W42-028-120-1, was meant to supplement the original Bentley in a more shop oriented format. It is the first to use the modern Bentley format and covers the 1.8 & 2.0 liter models from 1974. Although it cuts off with the 1978 models, it's applicable for the '79 since there were only minor cosmetic changes for the last year of production.

It's forte is that it contains a large section on the camper body, equipment & wiring diagrams, as well as a supplemental section that describes, troubleshoots and guides repair to the BA6 auxiliary heater.

Out of print, I've suggested Bentley reprint it. Perhaps if enough interest is shown, they'll do so, so you might write them as well www.rb.com or email them at sales@rb.com .

In the meantime, you might scour the used automotive publications dealers -- it's well worth it for owners of the Type II's. A place to start looking might be Hemmings Motor News, which caters to the antique car market and has a huge section devoted to used publication dealers. Availabe at most major newstands. See post under SUPPLIERS.

I'd sure hit the site bookstore first for a bit of a discount on Bentley manuals, but it and other VW publications are available from Dyment. They are VW's official publications distributor. Their number is 1-800-544-8021.

Among their offerings is the technical bulletins issued by VW, in model years. You can also order individual bulletins applicable to just your vehicle. They handle other manufacturer's as well so ask for their VW catalog or listings.

Ok guys, forgive the blasphemy here. I have worked with various manuals for various vehicles and I have always been wary of purchasing without having a look inside. I have been trying to find a copy of the venerated Bentley manual for my 84 westy to do just this, but with little success.

My concern is that it covers all vanagon years 1980-1991, both syncro and westy, as well as deisel. A buyers' comment on the Amazon.com ordering says that it does not cover pre -85 models very well. I once ordered such a "broad", and widely approved manual for my 4runner that had demo pictures from a model that was completely different, genralized instructions that were broad to cover all models (which would make sense given the range of years covered) but subsequently vague enough about any specific year, that specifics were unclear and could not be clarified. Also, I am very interested in getting the manual on Cd-rom as well as paper, (have laptop, will travel!) has anybody checked out the cd version?

I usually do my own work except major mechanical.

So... Will Bentley be specific enough that there will be no ommissions about my '84? ...Or... is it that all these years really, truly share anough in common that covering 1980-1991 together is actually feasable?

I am about to attempt to bring my fridge and stove back to life, as well as get into the dashboard so please feel free to volunteer any comments...
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-26-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Good day dajabr,
    The Bentley covers all years, each section (Engine, transmission, electical...)is divided in(at least) 4/5 section; 1)-Air cooled (80-83), 2)-Diesel, 3)- Digijet 1.9L (83-85/yours), Digifan 2.1L (86-91). (sometimes Syncro 4x4)
    The book is thick and cover all aspect of the van deeply (sometime to much for the average amateur mechanic), what i dislike about it is that they are summary about some basic maintenance stuff, as a example: valve adjustment is not cover as a Hayne book would do (step by step picture), it is mostly text.
    This book was meant for professional mechanic and it shows.
    But overall the book does a good job and it is the only one you can buy!!! It is a MUST, believe me.
    As a conclusion, i think the book cover all years and model equally.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-26-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks for the re-recommendation Ben, was worried Capt. Mike might flame me for neither reading the rules nor having my book. (Reminds me of college...)

Ordered the bentley via the westfalia.org link, and it did show up in the url. Also got a coupon from www.couponmountain.com and saved $10. That's $10 more I can put into the gas tank. Pass it on. D!

Moderator Note: No, but if all you want is a preview, Capt. Mike would suggest you call your local library and see if they have one. UNC, NCSU and several local libraries had several! However, Westy owners are not snobs and most will have one and be glad to let you browse. Requires asking!
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-26-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Now that I have the book and have had a chance to flip through it, the gamble of buying it unseen has paid off. I avoid Hanes and sometime Chilton manuals because they genralize to the point that simple yet critical facts are ommitted. Sometimes a medially skilled mechanic such as me can figure it out, but sometimes you can tell you don't want to risk breaking something unfamiliar and potentially expensive. The Bentley is very specific, and does have a listing of almost all differences between the models. The only miniscule detail I have found missing is any mention that the westy window has 3 panes and the Vanagon has 2, although this is clearly visible on the front cover. Assuming the detailed diagram of the sliding window mounting applies to both, it shouldn't matter anyway. So, I will add my praise and enthusiastic recommendation to the list.

Get your Bentley!
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-26-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

Bentley shop manual

Shaun Runkel Junior Member # 2917 posted 12-13-2001 09:26 PM

What is the Bentley shop manual?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast