Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating Westyville -- the VW camper culture

Here in Manitoba we often see at least one other Westy in whatever campground we're in. Not like in the Rockies, where we're never the only Westy in the camprgorund. Not many type 2's left here, though. Most that have been driven year-round have long since rusted away. The ones still running are usually stored in winter (like ours).

I agree with Mrvalu about utility. I've gotten a load of 12 ft. lumber home (with the tailgate closed) by turning the front passenger seat 90 degrees and folding the bed down. Use a tarp if you don't want to sit or sleep on splinters, though.

Our '78 gets a pretty thorough going over in winter, and has yet to leave us stranded.

And yes, I'm a geezer too.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Oh heck, I just couldnt resist, Im a geezer too.

Were not geezers! It's just that the kids keep getting younger. I have yet to figure it out!

Icarus

You're not geeziers just die hards!!! You are the people I respect, that never packed in your bread boxes when everyone else wants the "reliable, warm, rust free" mini van. What other vehicle owners wave at each other or stop to help another when in trouble?
    Vdub crusing is about the adventure not a drive from A to B, best part is you guys are still up for the adventure!

Welcome aboard T.Tamasi, May the trails you travel be safe and happy and may you never run out of gas cause its bad on the electric fuel pump.......RCB

My wife got me an excellent book for Christmas - 'Campervan Crazy'. It's from the U.K., but covers the VW camper van scene worldwide. Not a historical or technical reference, but rather a broad view of the vehicles, the people who own them, and what they do with them.
    The VW van scene in the U.K. must be very big, based on a couple of interesting numbers from the book (2700 vans imported into the U.K. in 2004, and a convoy of 700 vans on a yearly run from London to Brighton)

Lots of interesting photos - a great wintertime read while the van is in the garage!

I think Amazon has it - it was $35 CDN.

Default Inspirational reading

Here's a link to an online article. It does a great job of illustrating the mystique of older buses. \

Very enjoyable!

http://www.sanjuanislander.com/colum...ews/main.shtml

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12