Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C condenser (outside) unit and fan

R134a has different characteristics and thus operates at higher pressures. This will compound any other pressure & temperature flaws. Yes, a lack of cooling and failure of the fan engagement can cause the higher pressures.

What I would question is the high-pressue freon "dump." The system has a high pressure switch that is supposed to cut off the compressor before reaching the safety valve dump. Bentley 97.141, curcuit 14.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Following conversion of one of our cars to R134a, I had the opportunity to talk tech stuff with the lead tech of a well-known A/C independent. Thanks Lynn -- you know who you are.

R134a has significantly different thermal and pressure characteristics over old R12. As a result, new systems have a different condensor design and construction. When doing a conversion, the old condensors will work, but not as efficiently. This will be especially noted at idle, very hot days and at low speeds around town. out on the open road, it won't show up as much.

I see it in A/C performance during those conditions and also notice a slight increase in power required from the engine. That R134a has its drawbacks, but price compared to R12 covers a lot of sins.

I reccently installed a parallel flow condenser. easy install. nice fit. they are claimed 30% more efficient. I am happy w/the preformance. see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ight=condenser for more info.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 08-22-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Removed parts for sale content.
    Andrew Vanis
    Albq. NM
    (505) 304-5306 mobile
    [email]vanis13@yahoo.com[/email]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12