Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealer Policies re: Westys

Old Guideline #8: Your dealer can still be your best friend.

Don't alienate him because you don't like Corporate VW's pricing or parts policies. Most dealers will be quite cooperative at letting you look at the parts fiche and answering questions on price & availability. They'll probably let you read the technical bulletins if approached right.

Dealers, like any car related business, can be good or bad, depending on the personnel and ownership and the customer's attitude. Take your mechanic to lunch now & then; it pays remarkable dividends.

I'm still amazed at the number of people that go in with no comprehension of the dealer's operation or expenses and have an immediate chip on their shoulder. They curse the car, the parts, the prices and the labor rate, then wonder why the service guys "don't work on buses." They're probably the same guys that say, "What a moron!" when a customer comes into their place of work and wants half-price, delivery yesterday and free coffee while they wait.

Excellent tactic to stop in ahead of time when things aren't hectic, introduce yourself and ask if they've got somebody with real bus expertise. In well over a ¼ million Westy miles, I've NEVER had a dealer do anything but go out of their way for a traveler in distress. My only less than excellent experience was a dealer in the Yukon who couldn't do a full engine pull for about 3 days because of backlog. (I made it to the next.) But he let me use his phone to call long distance to the States to arrange a dealer there to have the parts on hand when I arrived.

Capt. Mike

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Copied from an LP post about getting good service at fair prices from LP dealers. Applies everywhere!

Original posted July 12, 2003 08:42 AM:

I get -- and they're usually cut under our "no parts/shops wanted ads" policy -- so many posts of members complaining they are being overcharged for either tanks or services and wanting them cheaper. Judging from the attitude of some of those posts, I have to wonder how many go into the shop or dealer with that same chip on their shoulder and then are surpised when nobody wants to go out of their way to help them.

I, too, have had only favorable services from LP dealers including some 'no charge' adjustments or tips. I've never had a problem getting a tank filled anywhere in the country or Canada. I know that reasonable priced proper replacement tanks are available. Often it's appearance, approach and expectations.

[Reasonable isn't always in the eye of the buyer but whether the price is fair and competetive -- yea, I'd like one for $50, too, but it ain't gonna happen!]

I'll pass on a parable. Recently, a friend of mine and I went to buy a 20' container for club storage. We chatted with the general manager about common interests and acquintances, antique cars, ships and the used container market, which we had the good sense to research a bit before coming in. We got a refurbished and freshly painted unit for $500 plus $95 exact spot delivery (they weigh 2½ tons!). While we were writing the check, a loud-mouth, know it all came in, talking down to them. Without blinking, they quoted him $2000 for what would be a worse unit than ours (we'd already looked over all the stock).

Hello, mouth. Meet foot. See guideline #8. It applies to outside vendors, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12