Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Break-ins, car theft & vandalism

Good 'un -- and I'm not making fun of it. I'm a believer.

My thoughts with my truck. Redneck Pickemup with the massive grill guard & extra lights, HD suspension & A/T tires; diesel, black, NRA decal. Front plate says "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch." The rear is a Vietnam Vet plate. Who wants to mess with what may be a 'Nam Vet ready to "go off." The plate supports NC highway beautification program (and promotes 'Nam vets far more deserving than I). They don't need to know it's the tow vehicle for my antique cars!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I have heard that if you travelon the baha strip in Mexico you need a gun. I dont know but dont drive in Mexico anyway.(We rented a bug when we were there and found all the drivers to be considerate of our touist way ) I dont lock my work bus but do lock the laders inside. The simple math is that replacing glass is going to cost more than replacing contents.My stereo is hidden in my glove box(would not fit in the radio slot)
    Anyway guns have a limited potential for protection. My dad takes one in his front bag on bicycle trips. I think thats a good idea, say does the NRA make cycling jerseys? I am always armed with a song to soothe the savage savage and try to keep a harmonica or guitar on me at all times. Peace be with you,
    Art

ARTY
    ARTY

Greetings and sorry to hear about your break in. I live in San Francisco and was broken into on Christmas Day ( bah humbug ).On December the 26th I ordered two vent window locking kits from California Imports Parts Ltd.The item # is ACC-C10-3435. The pair cost me about $8.00 plus shipping.I installed them so the lock plate was in the down position which secures the lock plate behind the window rubber. I then tightened the BIG locking knob with a pair of pliers.I also installed them right next to the factory window lock so no one could slip a small knife through the rubber and try to pry the lock open. I also took off the window handles on both sides and unscrewed the door locks to both doors.Just to be sure I also unscrewed the inside door lock knob on the sliding door.
    Motor Music in Daly City also installed a proxcimity sensor and adjusted it to allow normal street traffic to pass by without setting off the alarm.If someone stands real close to either doors for more than 10 seconds,it sets off two beeps.If someone gets real close to either doors and moves their hands towards the door handles or door glass the alarm sounds two warning beeps.If activity continues after the two warning beeps,ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.
    That Christmas Day I had voluntered my time at Glide Memorial Church. I had taken public transportation to the church and when I returned home the Grinch had gotten my sun glasses,my binocks,my camera and my Kenwood CD/AM FM deck. Insurance covered most everything but the alarm and locks were on me.
    Also, I purchased an Auto Lock for the brake pedal and one for the clutch pedal through E-Bay. They sell for $65.00 each at the chain stores but I bought them for $ 30.00 each and that included shipping.
    Its a real shame that we have to go through hoops to protect our valuables,but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Best 2U.........RCB

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

Chuck (CA) Super Member Posted August 13, 2005 05:59 PM

I didn't know where to post this!

I've been thinking about Westy security....considering an ignition kill switch....don't think theves are going to tow a Westy....need recommendations as to the proper equipment, location, and the best procedure...

Thanks

My dad and I bolted chain locks on all of my doors/hatchback to deter intruders while I slumber. Was this totally necessary? (I live in LA.) At any rate, my dad feels better about me toolin' round w/out my Big Hairy Dog Alarm. Any suggestions?

GoWesty sells what I will call a "lock extension" that allows the rear lid to be opened a few inches for ventilation while remaining locked from the outside.

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this question, I've not found the topic elsewhere....

We are parking our Westy in front of our house hoping to decrease the likelihood of vandalism (our back lane is notorious for such incidents). However, less than a week since having the van, we noticed that someone had pried off the "vanagon" emblem. Argh!

[Parts wanted deleted; Guideline #5.]

Car Thieves SUCK!

When Lisa and I lived in Oregon, we were driving down the highway and saw a pulloff for some seaside park. We got out and walked down to the beach. There was a big old camper parked next to us. When we got back the camper was gone and our westy unlocked. The folks in the camper had forced open the sliding windows and helped themselves to our stuff. Luckily they missed the expensive stuff. After talking to the police we found out a lot of crank heads target the coast pull offs. Afterwards we started noticing lots of broken glass on pull offs. I personally am a non violent kind of guy BUT think we ought to 'bust a cap' in a thieves ass... I cannot stand thieves. Sorry, no sympathy towards people who cannot manage their addictions. So watch out along the Oregon coast. As a result I tend to bring a back pack and take evrything of value with me when hiking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12