Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Internal rear view mirror

I need to remove the inside mirror from my '86 Vanagon/Westy. My shop manual gives no help.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Interior rear view mirrors are of the "break away" design. The come out of their socket if hit with a sharp blow towards the windshield. Go to your dealer and look at the diagram on the parts fiche for an understanding of the mechanism and design. That will give you an idea of where to apply the pressure.

I find the (interior)rear view mirror on my 86 westy Gl has poor visability as the cabinet above the rear bench seat block a full view. I can see headlights of car behind me, but not above the hood. Any tips for better visability? I assume a rear view mirror glued to the glass might do the trick, or is there a better suggestion? Or do most people just get used to it and depend on the exterior mirrors to see better? I would think if a cop were on my tail, I wouldn't see this roof lights flashing at me! And I just like to see the driver behind me, not just bumper and hood.

Investigate one of the fresnal lens type wide-angle units. They adhere to the glass with just moisture -- no damage to interior defrost wires -- and give a good view of anything in the blind spot. Use of a small one, about 5x8 will still allow general view of the rear. (Not internal but . . . ) Consider a little spot mirror stick-on for your left-side to cover the blind spot just over your shoulder.

Thanks. I also just found a clip on mirror (clips to interior mirror without obstructing it) that is actually for viewing a baby in the back seat of a car, but it also helps give a better view of cars further back, that would otherwise be out of view from the rear view mirror because of the overhanging cabinet/AC compartment above rear seat. It was 4 bucks at Target.

I have the same issue, however the mirror in my 86 Westy is mounted above the glass window on the metal part of the roof. I do not see any screws to remove the mirror. Please advise. Thanks.

Read above Aug 25 2001 post!

I got mine out before reading this post. It had some give when I turned it a little ,staying flush with the roof. It felt right so I turned and it popped out. Question now is how to put the new one in. Same design but not rotted by sun. Any suggestions?

I figured it out by deduction and Mikes comments. It appeares to require a twist but that is deceiving. Just line it up straight and give it a solid whack with a rubber mallet. It flexes an internal pressure fit metal piece and viola!

Default Swapping internal rear view mirror

Hi there,

I have a 77 Westy and I'm thinking of swapping my short arm rear view mirror for a long arm rear view mirror that came with the early bay windows. I read somewhere that this is a good option for us unfortunate souls that are cursed with long torsos and can't see under the back cabinets!

I've looked through my Bentley manual, Ratwell's microfiches and search the forum as well as the web and can't find any info on how to remove and install the mirror for a bay window. I have read the previous posts for vanagons... would it be the same procedure for my year of bus? Is it even possible to swap the short arm for a long one?

Thanks!