Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolfsburg & special editions?

What does this mean exactly? I am considering buying an 86' that is one of these. any words of wisdom/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks & adios,
    2tone
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 07-17-2008 at 04:57 PM.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Wolfsburg Edition has little meaning except it was a Madison Ave. ad gimmick to sell Vanagons. They would add a special packaging of accessories, some trim & color differences, and a bunch of hype.

They had NO special engines, drivetrains or other engineering features. The only 'resale' value is that you can assume someone who sprung the extra bucks for Wolfsburg Edition probably has most of the accessories that could be ordered piecemeal otherwise.

"Wolfsburg" has been used for sales campaigns through VW's history for most models and seems to reappear every few years.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 07-17-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks for the info, it's the attitude I could do without. I did do a search of the archives which yielded very little.
    thanks,
    buh bye

Please read the Message Board Guidelines linked at the bottom of this page, especially the 2nd paragraph & item #4. I don't know what you expect by attitude, but it's free.

westfaliaguy Guest

Capt. Mike asked me to post the substance of an e-mail I sent him regarding what constitutes the "Wolfsberg" version of a Westfalia.

From my experience as a collector of Westfalias, owning dozens and driving and viewing thousands over 20 years, I understand "Wolfsberg" to have a specalized meaning when it comes of Westies produced fot the U.S.A. market. This is not from anything I've read, but purely from experience. I agree with Capt. Mike that for most VW's the "Westfalia" term is for nothing more than trim package. In 1984 this appears to hold true for Westfalias. But, for Westfalia model years 1985 through 1987, the "Wolfsberg" version has a very different meaning than for other kinds of VWs. Therefore, for Westfalias, "Wolfsberg" means one of two things.

First, in 1984 there were some Westfalia full campers that had the Wolfsberg designation (a small round symbol just in front of the front doors). It is very easy to spot these 1984 "Wolfsberg" Westfalias. Every 84 Wolfsberg Westfalia I have seen has the two tone paint, brown on bottom and tan on top. The exterior two-tone appearance is the only visable difference between the "Wolfsberg" and other 84 GL Westfalia full campers which have a single paint color.
    There is NO difference whatsoever in the interior set up.

Second, in 1985 through 87 Westfalias, the "Wolfsberg" symbol relates to a very substantive difference in the interior layout. There is NO kitchen in a "Wolfsberg" Westfalia. Many people call this version the "weekender." I believe the use of "weekender" is incorrect terminology. My understanding is that the vehicle which VW dubbed the "weekender" DOES NOT HAVE A POP-TOP. I also understand that the "weekender" was just a factory edition that was not modified by the Westfalia customization plant. In contrast, the 85-87 "Wolfsberg" Westfalia versions DO HAVE THE POP TOP. These "Wolfsberg" Westfalias were put together by the Westfalia customization plant, but instead of the full camping kitchen they have a rear facing seat behind the driver with storage underneith, a removable 2-way (12v and 110v) fridge behind the passenger front seat, a table that folds up from the center drivers side wall, a full width rear seat/bed with wtorage underneith, and a corner cabinet behind the rear seat. Instead of seating four (4) people like the GL version, the "Wolfsberg" Westfalias come with seat belts for six (6).

These "Wolfsberg" Westfalias are easy to spot because they do not have the exterior hookups on the drivers side nor the propane tank. The NADA and Kelly Blue Book valuation guides list these simply as "Camper" as opposed to the "Camper GL" which had the full kitchen. In 85 and 86 these "Wolfsberg" Westfalias were equiped with horrible corduroy fabric that rapidly disintegrated into rags. In 87 a much better striped, nylon weave fabric was used. This 87 fabric was excelent but yet a very different fabric than the almost indestructable velour that was used in the full camper GL versions.

I have never seen an 88 Westfalia with the floor plan of the Wolfsberg package, nor have I ever seen one advertised anywhere, so I conclude that in 88 this lesser floor plan was not produced.

For the years 89 through 91 the "Multivan" Westfalia replaced the "Wolfsberg" Westfalia. Again, this "Mulitvan" version HAS A POP-TOP, but does not have the kitchen appliances. There were only two significant changes introduced in 89-91 that distinquish the "Multivan" version from its predecessor "Wolfsberg" edition: (1) the rear facing seat behind the driver no longer contains a storage area underneith, but instead is made to be removable with the pull of a single knob, and (2) instead of the 2-way refrigerator behind the front passenger seat, there is an additional rear faceing seat which is also removable by the pull of a knob. As a result, the "Multivan" seats seven (7).

Syncro Westfalias were produced in both the "GL" and "Wolfsberg" models. As a result, the valuation books show four (4) Camper versions in 86-87 and 89-91: (1) Camper, (2) Syncro Camper, (3) GL Camper, and (4) GL Syncro Camper.

Thanks, Westfaliaguy.

That's a very informative post and will maybe clear up a lot of the questions about "Wolfsburg" editions of the various VW buses & campers.

Since we are an international site, and many of our readers have Westies originally made for markets other than the US, they will find further variations. In the US, it appears they often did not import some of the plain-Jane versions that are found in other markets, where they are less impressed with the foofraw. Case in point, my '90 Syncro Camper was only imported into the US in the deluxe GL version with a big option package, although I understand the standard was readily available in Canada.

In my reply to Westfaliaguy, I pointed out my original post was to advise potential purchasers that there were no differences in engine, drivetrain or major engineering features so they should guide their purchase on a point-by-point comparison, not a cute decal and paint job. So again, thanks for helping clear the murky waters.

Oh, in case you're not sufficiently confused by now, throw in that the Type II bay-window ('68-'79) came in 14 different camper versions.

Another name to throw into the mix is the Caret found in the Vanagon line. Now I'm confused.

[This message has been edited by Capt. Mike (edited 01-23-2001).]

'Wolfsburg' [wolf's castle] is the town in Northern Germany where you can find Volkswagen's first and largest factory.

I have seen Wolfsburg editions back in Europe as well. They are nothing but a marketing thing with a little nicer interior features like cloths, maybe radio, etc. (see earlier message)

'Carat' as in 'diamond' is the name of a similar marketing campaign, maybe a little more upscale.

Now that we're into definitions:
    'Westfalia' [Westfalen] is a region in North-Western Germany. Westfalia Van Conversion corp has been building RVs and campers for 50 years.

I know this is an old thread, but...

I believe the use of "weekender" is incorrect terminology. My understanding is that the vehicle which VW dubbed the "weekender" DOES NOT HAVE A POP-TOP.
    I have seen plenty of Weekender Westies which actually say "Weekender" on the rear hatch and looks to be nothing more than the late 80's early 90's Vanagon version which has a rear folding bed bench seat, two bucket seats facing the bench and a table between them... the Weekenders I've seen also have had a pop-top.. just no Westy interior. My friend used to have a Vanagon GL which did NOT have the "Weekender" badge on the rear hatch, but did have the bed/bucket seat/table combo... it was a Wolfsburg though.

It's a difficult subject to discuss because the original buyer could have added items to the vehicle at the dealership or the dealership may have taken it upon themselves to make a "custom" Vanagon version which combined features from several different models.

I'm convinced that the Wolfsburg logo on my 84 Westy is nothing more than the two-tone paint job. I thought it may be the addition of the center seat, but that too seems to be a dealer add-on option. Not that I'm saying the two-tone paint is bad...surely it had more time put into it at the VW factory than a typical single color scheme.

It's just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 11-26-2010 at 05:10 AM.
    Justin
    84 Westy
    87 Syncro
    [url]http://www.enjoybeing.net/vw[/url]

Actually, the 1984 Wolfsburg Edition Camper came standard with the two-tone paint, the badge and the middle removable seat. I own one and I was also selling new VW's at the time those came out. None of the Westy's of that vintage had factory air conditioning. The A/C was either port-installed or dealer-installed.

Hello,

I go by the name River Otter and saw you posted some things about Wolfsburg Edition VW's

Anyway, I read that the 86 Wolfsburg's interior had some distinctions from other years and it describes the one I recently purchased. I was wondering however if their are any other distincitons the 86 has from other Westfalias? On a camping trip recently, some guy told me that Wolfsburg editions were of a better quality. That could be bs, I don't know., but thought you might know. Any additional information, or where to go for more info would be appreciated.
    River Otter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast