Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shower options

n terms of keeping the water contained within a curtain. We're thinking of setting the solar shower bag on the pop up bed and putting the output hose over a shower curtain which hangs down into a basin on the floor. Has anyone tried this indoors?

Will love to hear what everyone else out there is doing (other than hotels and laudromat showers).

Thanks,
    Torina

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

There had been a post in Archives but I think they're down for the count. John has had a lot of trouble keeping the old server running. I have the archives in a gazillion little files and will transfer them in as I get the time, but this is fine. We'll get a new thread going on the subject.

I'll see if I can remember what I've read and what I know from my own experience.

I've not been impressed with the solar showers. Bulky, difficult to handle (water does weight about 7 lb. per gallon), and takes too long to warm up. People usually want our showers shortly after set-up in the evening or in the morning after no sun for 10 hours or so.

We use the old-fashioned sink bath. Heat the big pot of hot water and you'd be surprised how well you can do with a washcloth. Good for about a week, except . . .! The hair! The solar type showers can still be used for that. Many is the time we've taken the hot sink bath, then stepped out for a cold hair wash. The new cold water camper shampoos work fine. I suppose you could even pour some heated water into one of them.

A problem in any Westy is storage room. Any shower or privacy shelter takes gobs. I've seen little back-packer showers that look ideal for the hair-washing. Sort of a squeeze bag with spray nozzle.

I have a small tent, about the size of a shower stall. Looks like a little canvas outhouse. And works well for that, but requires 4 6' poles, guy lines & stakes. Then one takes their shower standing in the usual grassless campsite or having to walk across verious obstacles to get too it. Then you've got a soggy tent to pack away. The original was the cheap blue plastic. We redid it in the lightest rip-stop but it's still too big. A 3' bag of poles and another of the fabric.

By the way, on a cold morning, you fire up the LP heater (see posts under Aux. Heat) and the water. By the time the water is hot and you have to get out from under the blankets, the cabin is toasty.

Our usual plan is to sink bath a week, then stop at a campground with showers or motel. By then it's time for laundry anyway.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 11-11-2010 at 11:20 PM.

ive always used solar black 5 gallon bag,like cappy said heavy to hoist up especially with the twine supplied, check this site out. www.campshower.com

I have been researching the possibility of adding a sink sprayer type attachment to the back of my westy, like the Eurovans have. It would run from the same tank, maybe the same 12v pump, and a person could have a shower under the rear hatch. Maybe add a curtain all around (if you're not in the middle of no where) and a heating element. We did dishes and showers with this jobbie in my buddy's 94 westy, and I'm just looking at the Bentley to see where to run the hose and power, then where/if to throw in a heater...

I always thought that one of these changing tents http://www.anywidget.com/diveinn/diveinn.html
    would make a great portable bathroom. You can stand up in them and they fold up into a flat disc for storage. Since they are designed for changing out of wet wetsuits after diving there are mesh drains in the corners. They go up very quickly and after some practice fold up pretty fast too. The shower in the campshower is just a garden sprayer, I have one to rinse off the sand when I go diving, they're very handy.

Transferred from old Archives.

I've been looking for a while now at the solar showers. I found a real dandy - made by Stearns. It has got a canvas exterior, and a small pump to pressurize the bag. The best on the market. I think it was about $40. But quality makes this one worth every$$$$.

www.campshower.com has the best shower system there is

Another good trick to do rather than a solar shower is to use No Rinse Shampoo and Body Wash. The brand is called NoRinse, (go figure,) and can be found through Campmor and some local retailers. Average price is about $3.99 for a bottle. And if you can't find it locally, Campmor is on the web.

You can order a good one (3 liters - 3/4 Gallon) from Mountain Equipment Co-op for CN$11. Exterior is black so water quickly warms. It's a single shower. Web site: www.mec.ca
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 11-11-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Regarding the caming shower... If you go to www.vanagon.com, and read some of the dispatches from the South American trip, one of the travellers (Larry) built a warm water shower on the underside of his rear hatch and used (I think) the rear heater as the heat source. He has a link that you can go to for the details.

a friend of mine told me they installed a pvc pipe on the front bumper, ran a copper pipe out both ends , wrapped it around the exhaust pipes for heating and as they drove the water heated by circulating through the piping and they had a separate hose for actual showering.

I am not sure exactly how it was set up but it did sound like it was possible.
    quick shower though.

Well let me tell you what I did with my 83 westi. I used to use one of the black solar showers untill my wife was driving and didnt see a stop sign and when I yelled stop she slamed on the brakes sending the shower out of the luggage rack right into the middle of the intersection. I do have to admit it was kinda funny. Anyway I spliced a hose right under where my resevore for the sink is stored and intstalled a ball joint valve. The valve is so that i can devert the water to the back of the bus. I installed a kitchen sink sprayer in the rear of the cabinet in the back. I used a plactic peice that recesses into the cabinet. The same type of plastic they use to put in sheetrock where your washer and dryer hook ups go in your home. I just spliced the wiring off the same switch that I use for my sink.
    It works out really well all I have to do is flip the ball valve and walk to the back grab the nozzle pull it out and flip the switch and I have a shower. It works good during summer evenings because the summer heat warms the water nicely.
    I also purchased a plastic shower stall that I hang off the back of the rear hatch. It works great.
    Ben

I have tried being a little creative in bringing a "hot" shower into my Westy, but with little success. However, paging through a Cabela's fishing catalogue, I see they offer a Hot Travel Shower for around $110. The best part is that it runs off of propane, has it's own pump, and it's own battery supply. It's manufactured by "Zodi Outback Gear", not a bad price considering the other commercially available options. Here is the Cabela's link: www.cabelas.com
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 11-11-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast