Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Door & window trim (except windshield)

In order to replace the outer scraper seal with the chrome molding do I have to remove the felt channel and the vent wing? I have already started and I can't get the the chrome out from underneath the felt channel. My felt channel is good condition and doesn't need replacement and if I were to remove it I'm afraid I would destroy it. I need some advice/instructions on how to replace the outer scraper seal with chrome molding properly, easily and without damaging exsisting parts.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

OK...i've just completely ripped my doors apart for restoration, so i know what the innards look like. first, the chrome moulding (assuming for 68-79 bus) goes under that felt channel, so it does have to be completely removed. The felt channel is held in place by several little "U" sheped clips with teeth. if you *carefully* pull the felt stip out, you may be able to salvage it. Definitely save the clips!! As far as I know, you just have to chance destroying it to remove it, it's one of those things. You might want to wait for another user's advice, though, as someone may have figured out a trick. I'm totally replacing everything, so doesn't matter to me. But, if it makes you feel better, replacement channels are available aftermaket for pretty cheap (I think I paid something like $5 for the pair!!). Good luck. At least you know you're not the only one guessing at these things!!

Oh yeah...definitely gotta remove the vent wing, too. Pain in the ass.

You're right it is a definite pain in the ass. Thanx for the helpful reply.

[This message has been edited by Capt. Mike (edited 10-07-2000).]
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 10-14-2008 at 04:53 AM.