Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Just got a 71 westy, drove it home and now she won't start!!Help!!

Default Just got a 71 westy, drove it home and now she won't start!!Help!!

I just traded for a 1971 westfalia. I was driving it home, and after about 100 miles, we stopped at a gas station. When I was getting back onto the interstate I was shifting up from 2nd into 3rd and when I went to shift from 3rd into 4th, I accidentally shifted into 2nd from 3rd. I was going about 48 or 50 and didn't realize what happened for about 30 seconds. I went up to third and then to fourth, and at that time I smelled something hot and burny so I emediatly pulled over to let it cool down. After that it wont start. We towed it back the last 20 miles, and the next day got it started with a push start and drove it around for about an hour with no problems. Since then I took out the battery and charged it and put it back in and it still won't start. It is turning over a little but not enough to get her started. Any help out there would be great, I am a novice mechanic but do have a good support of roommates who also own vw's so a point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks,
    Funky-J

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Sorry to say this but this web-site has gone to the dogs. Come on over to www.thesamba.com.. B4 I attempt an answer to your question; do you have a Bentley Manual for your particular year?

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    Sorry to say this but this web-site has gone to the dogs. Come on over to www.thesamba.com.. B4 I attempt an answer to your question; do you have a Bentley Manual for your particular year?
    No not yet, I am borrowing the old complete idiot guide froma friend right now.