Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tap-tap-tap, who's that knocking? 1978

Question Tap-tap-tap, who's that knocking? 1978

Hello,
    I've been dinking around with our 1978 2.0 fi. It had issues. I have gotten it to the point where it runs quite well, but the loud tap-tap-tap noises concern me. It doesn't stop, even after warming up and /or driving around. From my reading I am guessing it is the hydraulic lifters refusing to fill with oil. If that is the case, how hard is it to replace the lifters, and is there a website or video with step by steps? I have never "gone in" before.

Thanks,
    Craig

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Pour a cup of Marvel Mystery Oil down your oil spout and see if that doesn't free them up. Also, what weight motor oil are you using and is it full synthetic. If not, its a good idea to use it. Start there first and get back with the results.

I've heard about the mystery oil trick. I tried something similar. I added half a bottle of Seafoam and drove it for a couple days. Then I added the rest of the can, ran it for a while, then drained the oil. New oil - same old noise. Do you think there's any difference?

I am using 10-40 non-synthetic.

Try a cup or two of Marvel M.O. and run it around the block a time or two or go on a freewat run for a few miles. Its possible the lifters are shot. Do you have a Bentley for your year or at least the Haynes manual.