Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: vanagon westy tent bug screen repair

Default vanagon westy tent bug screen repair

so, how do i go about repairing the bug net in our vanagon westy tent, 25 years has taken it's toll, now almost everything can fly though it now
    i'd rather not have to take the canopy off to repair it

help please

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I just did this repair about a month ago and it wasn't too difficult if you are somewhat handy with a sewing machine. I unzipped the screen and then took out the bottom seam (that attaches the whole thing to the canopy) with a seam ripper. Then I brought it inside, removed the screen material from the zipper and the "tape" that seals the raw edges of the fabric (also with a seam ripper.) I then cut a piece of new screen fabric (available online or at a fabric store) and sewed it back onto the "tape" and then sewed the zipper back onto that and took it back outside and hand sewed the whole thing back onto the canopy (definitely the hardest part of the project.) I tried to match up the holes so I wasn't poking a bunch of new ones, but was only somewhat successful. The next step will be seam sealing that seam to keep rain out. Let me know if you have any questions about the process--it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

thank you, that is very helpful, can you post a picture showing the bottom edge, i think it might be enough to encourage me to have a go

I haven't had a chance to pop the top and get a picture--I'll try this weekend.

thank you

having further thoughts on thins, as i have to sew in the bottom edge anyway, i might sew in a second zip, so i can take the whole thing out if i needed to to it again, since the van is a keeper

That's not a bad idea. More work now, but much easier if you have to do repairs later.