Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lossing power with lights flickering on 71 westfalia

Default Lossing power with lights flickering on 71 westfalia

I am a first time owner of a 1971 westfalia and it has a brand new motor in it but when I get going on the highway it will loss power fast with the lights diming. For example I was on my way to work and was going around 95km and within seconds it dropped down to 58km and the lights started to flicker dim them bright. It felt like it was going to stal out but then I got power back and lights stopped flickering but then it ran kinda sluggish. This was the third time this has happened and I'm lost on what it could be. If anyone has had this problem or knows what it could be I would love the advise. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

OK. Let's start at the beginning. 'New' motor; is that rebuilt or NOS? I can only guess it is rebuilt given that I can't imagine there is a new part on the shelf but I could be wrong. When the engine work was done, was there anything done to the fuel system? Are you still running the original carburetor? Do you have any charging / starting issues? How long had you been driving when the issue happened? IS the vehicle driven everyday? How often does this happen?

Give us the answers and we'll get started.

Thank You for the reply. It actually is a new motor off the shelf but my boyfriend put the motor in and we ended up taking it to a mechanic in the summer and the mechanic said it was the timing I'm still not fully convinced that was it but now all my belts keep breaking so I've decided since I needed to park it for the winter anyways I'm going to take it to the place where I bought the motor first thing in the spring and have them do a complete once over on it and fix or adjust anything that needs done from the mechanics that strictly deal with these vw everyday and hopefully I can drive it without being on the side of the road everytime I take it out. Thanks Again Jamie

OK. It appears "...all my belts keep breaking..." might be your root cause. Depending on what motor was installed (upright or suitcase), your pulley alignment would be suspect. I believe your engine should be an 'upright' (similar to a Beetle) and if so the crankshaft pulley should be aligned with the generator pulley. If this alignment is off then the belt life will be drastically reduced. If your belts are breaking then I would 'adjust' the generator until your pulleys align. Should be relatively simple fix.