Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hi

Default Hi

I just bought a 1990 Westfalia yesterday. I'm pretty excited but a little apprehensive too. I have friends who said I shouldn't get one because they're just money pits and that I should get a light-weight trailer instead. But I've wanted a Westy for a long time and I don't want to pull a trailer....so here I am. I joined the forum because I'm trying to learn as much as I can and this looks like a great place with lots of information from experienced people.

Sandy

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I bought my Westfalia 1990 (new) and 22 years later I still love it. I have driven close to 300.000 km and crossed Canada and the USA many times.
    My advise to you would be to be very diligent with maintenance at least twice a year. It is also very important to find a qualified mechanic who knows these vehicles well as they can be a bit finicky. Yes the maintenance can be pricey but a good running Westfalia brings so much joy!
    In the province of Quebec there are many good specialized mechanics. In other provinces it may be a bit more difficult. (like Manitoba)
    Carpe diem!
    Arita
    arita de boer

Thanks for the advice and encouragement arita. I just went for my first camping trip. It was great but I had some trouble driving it. I haven't driven standard for 12 years and I kept stalling it. I'm fine once I get going but when I have to stop I have a lot of trouble getting going again. People are not very patient when you miss two lights at an intersection.
    A friend is bringing a friend of hers over today to have a look at the Westy and hopefully give me some good tips. He has had one for years and is in the process of totally redoing his and then he's going to move into it and hit the road.
    I live on Vancouver Island. I'll have to ask the fellow coming today who I should take it to for servicing. I could always go down island to the place the previous owners took it to.
    I hope the van works out. I would love to go across Canada with my sister.
    Sandy