Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil sensor buzzer on continually

Default Oil sensor buzzer on continually

Our good old '86 VW Westfalia starts well and runs well (standard transmission), but has one problem. The oil light/buzzer used to come on intermittently, generally once we slowed down after driving at highway speed for a while, though checking the oil showed plenty (and it does not leak oil); the problem has worsened and now the light and buzzer come on after about 5 minutes of engine use, and it does NOT stop! On our last trip (1 1/2 hours from home) it continued buzzing the entire time. Needless to say, it is driving us crazy. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you fix it?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

How old is the sensor ????? Maybe it's time to replace it.

It is probably as old as the van itself... 26 years!

contact scott at german supply, he's in Canada and has what you need to fix yer problem.

I just had this very same issue with my '90 Westy after doing a 'normal' oil change at Jiffylube which didn't take into consideration a couple facts I've learned the hard way: 1) you must use 20/50 oil and 2) you must use an oil filter from a VW dealer in order to get the kind of constant pressure our engines need. So said my oh-so-wise mechanic and shazam! it worked; my intermittent buzzing went away. (JL used a Fram oil filter and 10/40 oil.)

It is also possible that your LOW OIL PRESSURE buzzer is bad as stated by others. If the above does not work, have your mechanic look at the switch on the engine first. If that is good then you'll have to look at the switch behind the speedometer. Again, all this info comes from my ever-faithful mechanic. Best of luck!