Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1980 VanagonL Westy starter died?

Default 1980 VanagonL Westy starter died?

Starter &/or starter solenoid

G'day! I have a 1980 air-cooled VW VanagonL Westfalia with some kind of starter/solenoid issue as a few taps to the solenoid freed it and she fired right up. I've referred to the Vanagon manual which has a some diagrams for repair/rebuilding but anyone out there have any suggestions? Thank you! Deana

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Is your starter as old as your Van...might consider changing it out if it is.

I believe it is. I was thinking the same might be best to replace whole starter at this point. I was thinking a Bosch starter? And does anyone know if it is fairly easy to take-out the old and install the new myself?

I have an 83 air cooled Westy and its nice to hear of another one on the road. You might check out www.roadhaus.com. This site lists VW folks by State who are willing to help out a motorist. Check out www.vagcat.com This site will allow you to look at the factory spec sheet, might give you an idea on what you need to do to replace the starter. How auto savy are you...do you have a set of tools...do you have an area in which to work in/at??
    Good luck...Oh, almost forgot...check out your fuel lines as old ones tend to crack and leak gas on your hot motor. That aint good.