Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which Is Smarter?

Exclamation Which Is Smarter?

I have a decision to make and I need brains smarter than my own to advise me.

I have to decide between a mint 1979 Westfalia in showroom condition, or really nice 1987 Westfalia also in perfect running order.

I really want to use the vehicle I choose. I need it to be dependable.

Any thoughts or suggestions? We will head to the mtns on occasion and live in a fairly mild climate.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

As of this year they are both classic vehicles. I say that for the purpose of putting them both in the same dependability category. Must change fuel lines on both if it has not been done! As an owner of a wider , more stable 87' I would go for the 79. It is more valuable , gets more attention, better looking, cozier?. I tell my brother [ he has a 73 and does not see my van as in the same cult] "mine is just like yours but everything works." They will both require the same patience, go with the better previous owner history. I am not a mechanic but I have gotten to know many, anyone that will work on one will more than likely work on the other, most non-VW shops will look at you funny when you come in with either. Upgrade your tripleA card and enjoy!
    James Conlin 87

which one do you really want.your going to have to work on either in time.which sytle do you really like.which would be more fun to drive.don't know about a79,but had a 68 camper(loved it)and my 85 westy has a better heater.both fun to drive.they teach you patience in driving and working on them
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion