Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Converting a Weekender to a Full Camper

Default Converting a Weekender to a Full Camper

Hello there folks! This is my first post to the forum. I am in the process of buying my first Westy and I find that generally speaking the Weekenders are a bit more affordable than the full campers. I want a full camper personally, so I was wondering a couple of things: First, is there a step by step guide out there for doing this kind of conversion, and secondly, is there anything prohibitively expensive or difficult about the process? The biggest issue I would see would be attaching the external rv style hookups...any guidance from the community on this? Oh, the Weekender would be the poptop style to begin with so no need to worry about that.

Thanks in advance,
    DocB

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Converting a Weekender to a Full Camper

I've done it. No big gotchas that I can remember, though I have not yet decided whether or not to do the external hook ups. I did photograph the donor westy as the pieces were removed and took measurements for the correct placement of the body penetrations (e.g., gas line, water tank dump, sink outlet). Very pleased with the result.

I can share the photos or help with specific details.

best luck,

Quote Originally Posted by DrBenway View Post
    Hello there folks! This is my first post to the forum. I am in the process of buying my first Westy and I find that generally speaking the Weekenders are a bit more affordable than the full campers. I want a full camper personally, so I was wondering a couple of things: First, is there a step by step guide out there for doing this kind of conversion, and secondly, is there anything prohibitively expensive or difficult about the process? The biggest issue I would see would be attaching the external rv style hookups...any guidance from the community on this? Oh, the Weekender would be the poptop style to begin with so no need to worry about that.

Thanks in advance,
    DocB

I would love to see those photos! Also, I ws wondering if it would be easier to cut the holes for the hookups OR just replace the whole side panel with one from a full camper with the hookups already installed. Thoughts?

DocB

Default Re: Converting a Weekender to a Full Camper

There are three penetrations in the side of the van for the hook-up boxes
    and one for the vent (as can be seen in the photos)

Take a look at the hook-up boxes at gowesty
    if the donor boxes are brittle and cracked

URL for photos from the donor Westfalia:

http://chipotle.org/vanagon/donorwesty/

Some of the additions made during transplant:

The refrigerator was removed in favor of a shelf cabinet
    foam was replaced on bed, Sunbrella cavas used for new covers
    input plug for solar panel
    Aux battery placed under bench seat - solar/alternator charged
    output plug for DC/AC inverter
    battery monitor added
    12v outlet added
    RV water pump replaced stock westy pump
    Eurovan style faucet replaced Vanagon faucet
    LED light upgrades

Transplanted:
    westyTransplantTada.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DrBenway View Post
    I would love to see those photos! Also, I ws wondering if it would be easier to cut the holes for the hookups OR just replace the whole side panel with one from a full camper with the hookups already installed. Thoughts?

DocB