Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Warm Starting Problems

Default Warm Starting Problems

Hey cats,

This summer, my 79 Westy with a 2.0 litre fuel-injected engine has started to cause problems. If I drive for anywhere between 15 and 45 minutes, let it sit for anywhere from 1 - 3 hours, it won't start again. It turns over fine, the battery is new, but it just doesn't catch. Twice I have had it towed to my VW mechanic's, where it starts perfectly the next morning. So far, he can't replicate the issue, even after driving it around town and on the highway for a while. Spark or fuel? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

My 81 with 2.0L FI engine has the same problem. Let me know if you find a cure, I'm still looking. I find that If I give it throttle as I'm cranking it will eventually catch and start. Starts instantly when it's cold, though. My guess is a temperature sensor, though the Temp sensor II checks out, I've yet to check the one in the air flow meter. I've seen elsewhere suggested that it could be vacuum leak or the aux air valve. Still need to check both those areas.

The obvious choice is stuck cold start valve, but for me it still has this problem even when the valve is disconnected and I have checked it for leakage (it doesn't) and spray pattern (better than the injectors).

I'm usually a diesel person, so all this EFI nonsense is a bit alien to me.....

check the temp sensor.
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

Default What he said...

Quote Originally Posted by rcook52459 View Post
    check the temp sensor.
    Turns out I might have had 2 problems that were in play at the same time. My fuel pump was also working erratically, but swapping that out didn't solve the issue, so it's down to replacing the temp sensor. The one in there is likely the original, so who knows what's going on with it. A new part needs to be ordered from BC, and I should know shortly if that does the trick. If not...