Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Knocking and horsepower troubles

Default Knocking and horsepower troubles

Westy Fans,

We were driving down the highway when the engine started making a loud noise almost as if something happened to the exhaust. We pulled over and I had my wife rev the engine a bit while I examined the engine but there wasn't anything obvious. So I guessed that the issue was an exhaust malfunction and continued driving with the aim to fix it later. Unfortunately, after a few miles I began losing power and took the next exit. I practically crawled up a hill and luckily made my way into a Walmart parking lot.

The van will still start and run but with little power and an almost choking sound, my two boys said that the van was "farting". We have driven around 2k miles in the past week the start of which was a warm so the engine was running a bit hot. I had to check the oil every time we stopped for gas (after letting it sit for a bit). I had to add oil pretty much every time and it seemed like oil was being sprayed from that black thing on top of the engine in front of the carburetor ( sorry I am new to this ) and would leak a bit from the dipstick.

The van is an air cooled 1975 Vanagon with a single carburetor 1.8L I believe.

I am wondering if it is a clogged fuel filter which I will change soon. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for any help.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Toasted camshaft.

Default Quick Test

I haven't had much time to diagnose the problem but I did a quick test this morning. I undid each of the 4 spark plug wires then only lightly put them pack on. With the engine running I removed each of them in turn. If I label them 1 2 3 4 clockwise where one is on the left front, closest to the driver side:
    1 2
    3 4

When I pull off 2, 3, and 4 there is an obvious change in the engine but when I pull off 1, even though it arcs, there is not a change.

Turned out to be a bad spark plug. Put in a new spark plug and redid the test and the cylinder was obviously firing.

Hey jaybee75....congratulations on the fix. That has to be the record for the "cheapest Vanagon fix EVER"