Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: gas fumes in cab of my 73 westfalia

Default gas fumes in cab of my 73 westfalia

I have been having problems with gas fumes in the cab. Details of my situation, electric fuel pump, dual solex carbs, gas vent system has been checked. I don't know if this helps but I would appreciate any help I could get on this matter, as you may guess driving my westy is an intoxicating experience.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Im afraid I wont be of much help here...but I would re-re-re-check everything that you already checked. Do you only smell gas after a fill up or do you get smell all the time. Maybe the tank has a rust hole on the top of it. Maybe the grommet for the sending unit is shot. Fuel lines of old dont like the fuel mixtures the refineries add to the gas. Get some Goodyear or Gates SAE-J-30R9 fuel line. This fuel line has a lining thats pretty bulletproof to the additives. The clamps ( Aba brand clamps dont have sharp edges to them ) should be tight but not tight enough to crush the fuel line. Is the FPR dumping to much fuel...they have a baffel inside them and can poop out. Are your FI parts as old as your Westy or have you replaced/upgraded them throughout the years. Are you a recent owner or have you had your Westy for awhile.
    Just a few things to ponder..good luck and get that fuel leak fixed ASAP !!!!

Thanks for the advice, I've started checking the details out; I'll get back to you when all the holes are filled and the lines are serviced.

I agree to wanderer and if it does not change anything, i think you must go to an auto shop and have a fuel sending repair. It will not cost much and they can repair it for you. That's the best way if i will be in your place. It's just my suggestion feel free to do anything i'll be glad if this helps.