Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: dhbetty into

Default dhbetty into

Hi,

I'm a new Westy owner. Just brought home an 1983 escorial green westy and am in love.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Congrats...air cooled or water cooled ???

She is water cooled and has 53000 original miles (we were told...I haven't run the engine numbers yet)

Since your a newish owner its a good idea to change out all the fluids, give er a good tune up AND replace the fuel lines. What I just mentioned isn't necessary IF the PO did it B4 you purchased it. I have an 82 air cooled Westy and she ( Madam Helga ) really likes Mobil1 synthetic oil AND Wix brand oil filters. Congrats on the new member to your family. Happy and safe travels 2ya!!

Thanks Wanderer! I super appreciate any tips. My first bus was a 1976 with a '79 engine and was air cooled so I wasn't 100 percent sure of what I was getting into. My westy's name is Mz. Lizzy Pickle.IMG_4120.jpg

Mr.Lizzy Pickle looks awsome.cleeeeeeeeen as a whistle. Looks as if the previous owner/owners too real good care of him. I would change the oil,brake fluid,tranny fluid and give him a complete tune up. This way you have the beginning of a "history". With all the additives the refineries put in todays gas ( alcohol especially ) the older type fuel lines cant handle these additives and the fuel lines break down...from the inside.

Look for fuel line that has this printed on the line...SAEJ30R9. Goodyear or Gates manufactures this fuel line and it has a seperate lining on the inside of it thats impervious to all the junk in the fuel. In other words...it wont degrade from the inside out----cause a leak--and possibly cause a fire.

If you have some spare time and want to investigate another site thats ALL about Westy's..check out www.thesamba.com. Some additional write ups on fuel lines can be found on Samba. Oh....almost forgot, check out the manufactures date on the tires. Westy's take a special kinda tire with extra ply's on the sidewall. We travel in a heavy vehicle thats not the most aerodynamic designed vehicle on the road so we need the extra plys.

Have you discovered Bus Depot or Go Westy or Van Cafe yet ??? These are brick and mortar and online vendors that have parts and pieces. I rarely buy parts from a FLAPS...the vendors I mentioned know Westy's inside and out and know more about them than a sales clerk at PepBoys would.

The tea leaves indicate many happy travels in Mr.LizzyPickle.

Thanks again! such great info!
    Happy travels,
    Mz Lizzy Pickle and Chris