Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 85 Runs great...then sputters heavs and stalls.

Default 85 Runs great...then sputters heavs and stalls.

I have owned this bus for....wait for it........one week. It has been registered and legal to drive......wait for it......one day!

This is a 1985 1.9L FI.Automatic.

Here is the issue, I drove it for about 30-45minutes today around town and then while at a stop light the idle became rough. I shifted in Neutral and reved the rpms up. It seemed okay but I turned off the main road at the first chance approx .25 miles. As turning off it stalls. I try to turn over and it sputters and coughs and then dies. I wait about 4-5minutes and try again and it runs fine. I am happy....Lets try to get home asap. I drive for about 4-5 minutes and then the same thing happens at another light, it seems that today is the day I am going to hit every red light I pass. I pull off and go through the same thing. Where do I start. I have spent 1-2hrs searching the net and froum and it seems that there are all sorts of issues and guesses. Give me some dirrection.

Thanks in advance,
    Doug

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Is anyone on the site that can offer some thoughts. Is this a dead forum?

Hey Doug,

I am no expert. I used to have a similar problem, but at highway speeds and not with any regularity.

Could it possibly be vanagon syndrome? That would be something to look into. This usually has to do with an issue with the Airflow meter. I think there is a lot of info on this forum specifically about that (search vanagon syndrome). If it was this, then you would want to get either a rebuilt airflow meter, or you can get a wiring harness that fixes the problem. After I had my engine rebuilt last year, I also got a new airflow meter--haven't had any problems with the engine sputtering while driving down the highway since then.

Maybe an issue in the fuel line? You could look into putting a new fuel filter on and see if that makes a difference. I would guess that maybe if the fuel filter is old it might be all nasty and occasionally limiting the flow of fuel. I'm sure there are some other explanations. Sorry I can't offer more. The nice thing is, it sounds like your van wants to keep running, so it might be a simpler thing to fix.

Good luck!

Jason

Thanks Jason.

So I just made it home approx 30 miles. I brought 5 gallons of fresh gas and toped off what was in the tank and the real kicker was the fuel filter. I replaced the old one and it seemed to have worked! I love simple solutions. The old fuel filter has all sorts of chunks and junk coming out of the inlet side. I think I will just drain the whole tank and eliminate any future problems. Thanks for responding.

Awesome.

I'm actually kind of surprised that it ended up being something I thought of. I guess I'm getting a little better at this Westy stuff than I thought.

Nice work, and have fun!

Jason

Default VW Bus 1975 Same issue

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rolfe View Post
    Awesome.

I'm actually kind of surprised that it ended up being something I thought of. I guess I'm getting a little better at this Westy stuff than I thought.

Nice work, and have fun!

Jason
    I have the exact same issue with my 1975 Bus, and I was thinking that I had fuel problem
    I think I'll try your solution, sound logic.
    I'll let you know if it also worked with mine -although is not the same year and model