Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hello all

Default Hello all

Hello, Doug here. Karen and I just picked up our first camper. A 71 Bay window Westy. Needs lots of work but I will restore it. I'm going to have it media blasted down to bare metal. I'm just finishing up a 65 Hard top beetle for my daughters 16th Birthday then the real work begins fixing this campmobile up for Karen and I to travel in. Any suggestions for parts would be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Welcome!

I, too, have a '71 Westy. I guess you know that your first job is to replace all the fabric fuel lines. After that, it's just a question of what needs doing immediately, what can wait, and what you can live with without doing anything.

As for parts, if you don't have a source you can trust, you should go to the Itinerant Air-Cooled site. Under each category in the forum, there's a sticky called "Parts known to be good" or "Parts known to be not so good" where people write in with their experiences of specific suppliers. Since you have one of the Buses with the old upright engine, you have a somewhat greater selection of possible vendors. Good luck!
    --JLT
    Sacramento, CA USA

Former buses: '61 17-Window "Pink Bus"
    '70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
    '71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"
    Current bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"

Default Thanks for the reply

I appreciate the advice on the fuel lines. I think that's a great idea. I am tearing it down to strip and paint so I'll be pulling the engine shortly. The guy before me was a wiring genius. Used some pretty heavy gauge wire instead of a fuse. Melted a lot of stuff. I don't trust anything on the fuel or wiring side of it. It will all have to be redone. No problems, thats why I bought it. To fix up. Thanks for the forum site also. I will be checking that out a little more. Karen and I are on facebook "DOUGNKAREN THURBON" You can see my 65 hard top beetle restoration complete photo series and now starting my 71 bus restoration although it should probably be called rebuild and customization.
    Best regards,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by JLT View Post
    Welcome!

I, too, have a '71 Westy. I guess you know that your first job is to replace all the fabric fuel lines. After that, it's just a question of what needs doing immediately, what can wait, and what you can live with without doing anything.

As for parts, if you don't have a source you can trust, you should go to the Itinerant Air-Cooled site. Under each category in the forum, there's a sticky called "Parts known to be good" or "Parts known to be not so good" where people write in with their experiences of specific suppliers. Since you have one of the Buses with the old upright engine, you have a somewhat greater selection of possible vendors. Good luck!

How do post a question on this forum?