Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 1984 VW Vanagon won't start.

Red face My 1984 VW Vanagon won't start.

Please bear with me as I am not mechanical in anyway; however, am trying my hand at it.

That said, my 1984 VW Vanagon will not start. There is spark, no gas smell, engine is turning over but won't catch, the battery is fully charged. I have been "Googling" for over an hour to try to find out whether this might be the fuel pump, fuel filter, or fuel injector, to no avail. I did try to consult the troubleshooting guide in my Bentley but after awhile, all I read was "blah, blah,blah,blah, blah" Unfortunately, I couldn't decipher much of anything in it.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me how to discern which it may be? Currently, it is sitting up the road at a plant nursery. As I don't have AAA and the local tow guy wants $50 to bring it a mile to me , the sooner I have an answer, the better.

Thank you all in advance.

Laylah

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

can you take a plug out to see if getting fuel( wet).have someone turn it over and you get down by the fuel pump to see if you hear it.if getting fuel and spark and stillnot starting replace temp sensor II. if i remmber right it's cheap
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

Quote Originally Posted by rcook52459 View Post
    can you take a plug out to see if getting fuel( wet).have someone turn it over and you get down by the fuel pump to see if you hear it.if getting fuel and spark and stillnot starting replace temp sensor II. if i remmber right it's cheap
    Thank you, rcook, for your prompt response!

I was able to get the van started yesterday and bring it home. According to someone else who is familiar w/the van, he stated since the problem is sporadic, it could be the contacts for the fuse or the fuel relay. I am going to shine those puppies up today. IF that doesn't work, I will certainly try your suggestion. I will keep you posted.

Thank you SO much for responding in such a prompt fashion.

Laylah

since it started probally not temp sensor
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion