Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1982 Westy not turning over

Default 1982 Westy not turning over

Hi Westy community,

So I'll try to keep it short and sweet. I'm at my whits end and not very mechanically inclined so here goes. I let my battery die and have had to jump it about 6 times in 6 months just form lack of use (and lack of funds). The most recent time I tried to start it from the jump it did nothing but indicate that it was drawing power from the battery to attempt the start. The next time I was able to get it to crank but did not turn over. Any attempt since then has given me the same results as the 1st time, no cranking just indicating that it is drawing electricity from the battery.

In order to fix this problem I've done the following:

replaced battery
    replaced starter
    found that the battery was sending 12.6 volts from the battery
    confirmed the new starter was receiving 8-9 volts (though I barley know what I'm doing, so I guess I did this right)

I've also recently installed a new ignition switch, and new fuel pump.

can anyone shed some light on this? I need some sort of light shed because I feel like I'm in solitary confinement.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    Last edited by westyincolorado2; 02-11-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: fuel pump not filter

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Years ago my 82 Westy had a battery drain and I went through the various replacements that you have done. It turned out that my drain was caused by an alarm system being wired incorrectly. It got to the point that I could only get it to turn over but not start. Do you have a Bentley manual or the AFC system manual yet ?? You can get these online at sites like craigslist or flea-bay. For what its worth, a problem like this is very difficult to diagnose over the air waves. You need to get some diagnostic equipment and start testing the electric system. Please dont misunderstand me but if you dont have the manuals nor the mechanical know how to use the testing tools, you might need to venture on over to a Vanagon savy mechanic who will have the necessary "tools" and knowledge to track down your running issues. I sure wish you the best because its nice to hear of another air (oil) cooled Westy ...now just get it fixed so you can N-Joy it;happy travels await ya.

Default 1982 Westy not turning over

You can try sending the command "7" via the SCI port. It will reset everything software wise. It may not correct your issue though.