Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: greetings from Fort Collins,CO

Default greetings from Fort Collins,CO

hello gang...greetings from fort collins, CO. new owner of an '82 aircooled westy, first VW. long time fan, and a year after beginning the patient search or the right one in my price range, everything just came together. looking forward to endless tinkering, camping, concert going. just made room in my garage for her, and i couldn't be more excited. my 9 year old daughter has also been active in my search, and she is equally as excited. she has called top bunk already. looking ahead to picking brains on these forums for advice, solutions, learning from mistakes, and parts, parts, parts...

82westy1.jpg

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

looks like your going to make great memories with your daughter,congrats.there alot of fun
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

Congratulations on your discovery and welcome to the madness. I found my 1982 Westy (Madam Helga) back in 1999 and after replacing everything from motor to shocks to tranny to fuel injection parts shes treated me just fine. One item of concern would be to replace your old fuel lines with the more modern fuel injection hoses. The newer hoses are able to withstand all the "goodies" the refineries put into todays fuel formulas. I also found that running Mobil 1 full synthetic oil helps the engine run cooler. Make sure all your engine tin is installed and that your engine to body seal is still intact and it fits snugly around the entire compartment. keep her under 60 and with regular maintenance she should give you and your daughter years of happy and safe travels.

Wanderer, thanks for the advice....as a new VW owner, i will have much to learn, so all the tidbits and knowledge of folks on here will be most valuble. i appreciate the welcome, and will put a fuel line upgrade on the top of list, along with new windshield, and just getting used to her idiosyncracies. looking forward to the madness. i am sure the wife will also be enjoying the memories, the idea of owning a camper is growing on her, it was just me and my daughter that got sucked in headfirst to the joy of the search....any manual recommendations? most people say Bentley, so i think thats my next purchase...

Yep...the Bentley is the Bible, but beware (or maybe not) since its the official factory VW manual it can be a bit technical. Another option which is readilly available is the Haynes Manual. Its a bit more down to Earth in my opinion. One of the most useful and helpful manuals is the Clymer manual. Its kinda hard to find...maybe a used book store would have one. The Clymer is to VW's what the "Idiots guide to computers" by Visual publishing company , is to computers.

Please do put the fuel line change high on the list of things to do. If your interested in another website for Vanagons and Westy's check out The Samba, it seems to get a few more posters than this site does. Nothing against this site so dont get me wrong but the Samba is a good site too.

Happy and safe travels to you and your family.