Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gary

Default Gary

I am new to this forum so this may not be the correct place to ask this question, if so please direct me to the proper place. I am doing a compression check. What I need to know is how much compression (not compression ratio) should the cylinders have on a 2 ltr (2000cc, or 120 cu in) air cooled. Thanks for any info you may give me.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

i think it's 140+,but what's more important if there all within 10lbs of each other.
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

I have no idea on whether this is of any help but my 1982 air-cooled Westy,2000cc motor has 125 across the board.

at 125 it shows you have some wear on the engine,but still running good,maybe some lose of power.rings or valves may need replacing in the near future.a cylinder leak down test could tell rings or valves.found on thesamba.com compression should be 145 to 190.anything below 116 your loosing power and rebuild in the future.

Thanks for the info. Will be pulling motor and #1 cylinder is only 80 lbs. All the rest 120.

with #1 that low you have head gasket blown,bad valve,or bad rings in that cylinder

On page 15.2 in my Bentley it shows the compression checks. I think 125 is actually pretty good for a stock motor in a 29 year old Westy, (or any other vehicle) .

it's actually really good.these westies arn't light.i went threw scales with my daughter no camping equipment 4200 lbs.then with camping equipment and my nephew tto weighed 4900 lbs.it just shows you took care of it and changed oil for good manitance

I like Mobil1 20-50 synthetic oil and change it out on a 3000 mile basis. Could probably go further than 3000 but....Also Im not a speed demon so I keep it under 65 and if I have to be somewhere at a certain time, I just leave a bit earlier. Actually I like to be able to smell the roses along the way.8>)

that's the way i ride my motorcycle and the people i ride with miss alot on the road by trying to get there 2 minutes earlier.