Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Greetings from Woodstock....Georgia that is.

Default Greetings from Woodstock....Georgia that is.

Yes, it's finally happened. After years of looking, I am now the proud owner of an 85 Westy. I bought it from a guy who parked it 2 years ago and walked away from it. It turns over but won't start. We poured fresh gas in the tank and even tried spraying fogging oil in the throttle body housing but no luck. (except a small backfire...followed by a small fire which was quickly put out )

So..Linus is now sitting in my garage, waiting to be resurected. My brother is an old VW nut and pretty savy with his tools. He's telling me I need to drop the fuel tank, drain it, change out the fuel filter and remove/clean the injectors before it will start. I'm all about doing things the right way but that seems like alot of work. Anyone out there know where I should start? Luckily I was given TONS of receipts and one shop just did a compression test so I know we've got good compression and the motor turns over freely when cranked, just no fire (unless it backfires again...hehehe)

Thanks for any input or feedback. I spent a few hours today and washed off 2 years worth of mold, mud, leaves and funk on it. Cleaned up pretty well too. Will post photos soon. Thanks again ya'll

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

check or replace spark plugs make sure you have spark.check distrutor cap for cracks,dirt etc.try starting fulid see if kicks over.you may have to take tank out but should be able to see if runs with starting fulid if you have spark
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

Cool thanks! I bought new plugs and a fuel filter. Will try that tonight to see if she'll fire up. The suspense is killing me : )