Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: availability of tires for 91 Westafalia

Default availability of tires for 91 Westafalia

Does any tire maker manufacture tires that I need for my 91 Westy? Right now I have Yokohama Super Van 356 185-R-14 8PR and could use new ones. I went to the Yokohama site and could not find any tires listed for a 91 VW Vanagon. What are the options

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Not many options left. Here are a few recommendations:

Hankook RA08 in either 185 or 195 R 14D All Season Tire - but NOT "Mud + Snow" rated...whatever that means.
    BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO 195/75 R 14C More aggressive tread for Mud + Snow...but also more expensive. You'll have to ask for these.
    Nokian Hakkepellitta C or CS 185 or 195 R 14D All Season, M+S PLUS Severe Winter Weather rated. More $$$ and might be difficult to source - but well worth the $$$$ if snow is in your future. All around great tire for year round use (wear well).

Pay particular attention the the Load Rating/Index of 14" tires. If P (for Passenger) - DO NOT put these on your Westy!!

Absolute minimum Load Index/Rating for 14" tires for your Westy should be 97 (higher is better). See/read link below:

http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/guideline.html

As a general rule of thumb - if the 14" tire's maximum inflation is LESS than 50psi - don't put 'em on your van.

Thanks for your good advice. I did find that the Yokohama 185 R14 D are still available. They don't wear well, but that's all that Discount Tires had to offer and the ones I have been using in the past. They should meet the weight specifications as they have a psi max of 65.

Fillus - I purchased 5 Hankook RA08 195R14D's from America's/Discount Tire in Gresham OR for my 90 Syncro Westy (14" OEM Alloy wheels) over Labor Day. They matched Tires Easy online price, and plenty in warehouse stock (along with 185's). Maybe they ran through their entire stock of Hankook's? Had the Nokian Hakkepellitta CS's on my (sold) 87 Syncro Westy...purchased online from "I Forget" in 2009.

Yoko's should be fine (summer tire?).