Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: just bought a 1979 westy

Default just bought a 1979 westy

im 17 and i just bought a 1979 westy and it need alot of work and i have no idea where to start i need a starting point.. plz help

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

congrat's,you goin have alot of fun with the van.get yourself a service manual and start reading.do searches here because lot's of info.thesamba.com has lot's of info too.gowesty.com,busdepot.com,busboys.con and van-cafe.com to search for parts.plus car-part.com is a site for wrecking yards all over the country and you can narrow it down to where you live to look for parts to. check this out to http://www.amazon.com/Restore-Volksw.../dp/1845840933
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

clean,clean, clean it's always easier to work on a clean van.

Thanks and would it be cheaper to get new panels for the rusted ones or to bondo it???

well it depends,how bad the rust is.would be cheaper to bondo it,but bondo may crack after awhile and have to redo it again and with paint cold cost more than replacing panel.you may find a good used panel too.just reseach for parts new and used.that's part of restorying any car and part of the fun

the rust is realy bad but only in the front outside and inside and around the dashboard. and is the gas pedal supposed to be like 3in from the floor??

have somebody press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it to the floor,then go to the back of the van and see if the carb is opening all the way.if it does well that's the way suppose to be.

ill check that as soon as i get the chance. and i appreciate the help ill send you a message if i need anything else

I agree with rcook...get a shop manual and spend a long time with it. Learn what's special/different about yours as compared to other years. These things are a lot of fun but it takes a lot of hard work, money and busted knuckles to make them nice. Rust sucks. So, fix it right and appreciate a job well done. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!