Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hello From Springfield IL

Default Hello From Springfield IL

Name is Wade. I own a collision repair business here in Cenral IL. My 87 Westy with about 86K on the clock (as I remember) needed love. Took her down to bones. Treated and replaced metal to remediate the seam rust and any issues under and around her.

Now with body and paint work complete - it is time to buy weatherstrips, interior and exterior trim to complete the cosmetics.

Bus is Gold - 2WD manual and I'm going "no chrome". If the Carat lower mouldings and bumpers were not rotten out there in salvage yards I may have gone that way. As it looks I'll just go with the available paperclip strength bumpers front and rear.

My body technician wants to pull the textured "wallpaper" from the upper interior and replace that. Also the grey contact paper on most of the cabinetry is in need of replacement. I guess I could paint those if necessary and have something more bulletproof. The rubber gaskets and cabinet edge trim is all shrunken and toast as well. Im sure I'm not telling you folks anything you did not expect. I'll need a full exhaust as well. Carpet while she's coming together...

Any suggested steps to take while she's apart and/or recommended vendors are appreciated - I'm sure I have thousands more to go before I sleep on this project.

Oh one really cool thing I'm thinking of doing - I have a set of barely used - heated and cooled Recaros from a customer that just wanted them gone. He said he'd made a mistake in spending the money on them for his hot rod Audi. He went back to stock. Anyway I looked those seats up online and they were some ridiculous money - like 3K per side! I doubt I could sell them - so they may just end up in the Westy!

Nice to meet you all - drop me a line please on recommended vendors. I need to put my guys back to work on this while we're slow!

Thanks - Wade

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

van-cafe.com,busdepot.com and gowesty.com compare prices on them.lots of info on the samba.com too.congrat's on the seats
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

thesamba.com, Cip1.com, JC Whitney and Wagenwerks. All good sites

Thanks! I bought a ton from Gowesty. and we're off and running. Still need some interior pieces. Does Larry Dustman (at Sewfine?) do door panels forthese? It seems nobody has any interior panels. When I was in Phoenix as a kid, I worked for Tim Ransom and Larry was a buddy of his.

Yep, sewfine does it all and does it all very well. I think they even have a website. I have a small printed catalog of theirs. Lots of recommendations for the work from members of The Samba. They get great reviews and some members have posted photos of their handy work.