Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1991 Multivan Westfailia Problems Please Help!

Default 1991 Multivan Westfailia Problems Please Help!

Hello, I recently purchased a 1991 Multivan, it runs well, however sometimes it takes 3 times to start, when i turn sharp into a drive way it sometimes sporadically dies, and also sporadically shakes around 2k rpm, then once about to 3k it runs completely smooth? Any advice to what to check, anyone else experience something similar?
    Please Advise, I appreciate any feedback!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

1st thing i would check is the battery connections.make sure there tight and clean.then check all the ground cables.make sure all connections are tight.wires on starter tight.alternator wires tight.just generally look at wires to see if not shorting out or have any bare wire showing.is it left turn or right turns when dies.
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

Thanks for your advice! It doesn't matter which direction, and it doesn't happen all. The time.
    The rpm shooting up has turned into an everyday occurance now.

I just completed the "Ultimate Fix" on my 1985 that may help you as well. I found it at vagonaults.com, specifically http://www.vanagonauts.com/index.phtml?catid=164. It involves replacing the eyelets on seven ground connectors on the left cylinder head. Now I barely tap the ignition switch and the engine starts. I don't remember it ever starting this easily. Best of all, it's cheap (a few dollars for some eyelets) and easy (maybe not so easy if you have AC).

Thanks steve, Anyway you can take a picture of where the 7 connections are? I have ac i believe I have to remove the west cabinets in the back for the one by the ac.
    Thanks so much for your help
    Matt

You can see the seven connections and the ground strap to the right of the spark plug boot in the center of the picture. The ground strap attaches to the body just under the coil. I didn't replace the strap; it looked fine. I hope this helps you solve your problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images