Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fuel Lines

Default Fuel Lines

I want to replace my fuel line on my 81' Westfalia. Want size line is the fuel delivery system? What are the best clamps and type of line to use?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Heres what I did for my 1982 Air cooled Westy. I contacted www.greasecar.com and bought 25' of product code A-H-BIO-5/16. This fuel line is able to handle the newer additives the refineries are adding to the fuel. Ethanol and some of the other goodies, will degrade the interior of most fuel lines. This line has an inner tube (very hard to see with the naked eye) that wont degrade. Another thing I like about it is that it is not cloth covered. The fuel line (at the time) was about $3.00 a foot which is quite a bit less at greasecar than other vendors wanted.
    As far as the clamps are concerned, I like the ABA brand of clamp...I think its the ABA13's. These clamps have a rolled over edge to them so when you tighten down the clamp, it wont dig into the fuel line.

As a long time owner of an air-cooled, I found it absolutely necessary to make sure all the engine tin was securely in place and that the engine to body seal was intact and fit snugly around the engine compartment. Heat is a real killer to an air-cooled motor.
    I know you didnt ask about the engine stuff but since my coffee is starting to kick in,and my fingers couldnt stop moving until I got that important bit of information out of the way. 8>) Safe travels to you.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    ...As a long time owner of an air-cooled, I found it absolutely necessary to make sure all the engine tin was securely in place and that the engine to body seal was intact and fit snugly around the engine compartment. Heat is a real killer to an air-cooled motor.
    I'm nodding in complete agreement about the importance of a good engine compartment seal and making sure all the tin is in place. Heat is an air-cooled engine killer! Most Westies have a heat shield between the engine and the muffler which is very important. Unfortunately, many remove the heat shield when installing a new muffler. You can also wrap the muffler with a heat shield - an after market product. When transiting a very hot area, like a desert in the summer, remember to slow down. Lower speed equals lower engine temperature.