Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Air-cooled 2.0L oil

Default Air-cooled 2.0L oil

What is the recommended oil to run in a air-cooled 2.0L 1981 engine?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

just a good 10-40 wt would be all right.your choice of which brand.i always used castrol when i had air-cooled motor, but that was 20 years ago.i would use a synhtentic now days.motor may run alittle cooler with synthentic
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

Ive been running Mobil1 15w50 synthetic in my 1982 air cooled Westy for quite some time now. I do have all my engine tin and a good fitting engine to body seal so anything that will keep my motor happy is fine with me. The synthetics do a good job of keeping the temperatures at bay.
    Good luck

Thanks, I really think synthetic is going to be the way to go, anything to keep the engine cool and happy.

Hi there Im new to the site and have found an abundunce of valuable info here. I recently got my hands on an 82 westy and the motor has no seal on it. How important is it in the cooling process? The motor was feul injected but someone took all that off an put a weber progressive 2 barrel on it. Got rid of the points with an electronic distributor. The van had been sitting since 05 and has been a real task getting it going now. But with no heat guage im not sure on temps (will sort that out soon) but would like to know about the seal

I wouldn't think of driving my Westy unless I had a good fitting engine to body seal properly installed. Heat is the utmost of killers for our air cooled motors. The fan draws in cool air from the side vents...that cool air is distributed over the engine. Without all the engine tin and the body seal your just distributing hot air throughout the engine compartment. The part number for that seal is 251-813-226A. Although expensive, they will save you from cooking your motor. Check out Bus Depot or Go-Westy for the seal.

I've never been a fan of changing over to something the VW technicians didn't install at the factory. Keep it stock if you can.

Safe and happy travels to you.

OK I see why the seal is so important an I am in the process of getting one sent but can someone tell me as to why the 82 vanagon is so expensive compared to the older models. An has anyone just made their own seal. For example couldn't I just use a 3" strip of rubber and rivet it to the body where it will lap over the engine tin? Btw thanks for the tips on oil viscosity, I had put 10w 30 wt in it an after rteading several threads about engine oils to use I am changing to 20w/50 wt today. thanks for all the help
    Garry n Oklahoma

Hi Garry....Parts for the air cooled models are getting difficult to find. Keep in mind their 30+ years old. As far as cost goes...check out how much it is to replace the engine because the coolant system bit the dust and the motor got cooked. Also check out how much the coolant hoses cost (if you can locate them). Personally...I like the simplicity of an air cooled model. I have a mechanic who's family business began in 1959 and ALL they work on is Vanagons/Westys/&VW's. I also don't have a lead foot so if I have to be someplace in particular and at a certain time...I just leave a bit earlier 8-).

I suppose you could fabricate a home made engine to body seal. VW folk have been known to be a bit of a McIver. ( not sure the spelling but you get my point )

Travel safe

update to my 82 Westy
    The oil thing sorted out I switched to a 50 wt racing oil and it made a huge difference on long hot trips. Oil light quit blinking at the stop signs an motor really sounds good an solid. New engine rubber seal installed The new seals for top an new canvas installed , new shocks and complete brake job. I have installed a roof air package on top of the luggage rack an works like a charm. Coo[ Westy CampingThanks for all the replies and thanks for a wonderful site that is full of info ..........Go Westy

Not sure where y'all are coming from but don't forget up here in the Northeast, the outside temperature plays a big factor, as well! My mechanic suggested a 20W-50 in the summertime with my '81 and bringing it down to 15W or even 10W-40 in the wintertime.