Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gurgling engine

Default Gurgling engine

When I went into the mountains(3000 ft) today and last week, my 91 Westy made a gurgling sound at the right rear air supply grill. The make-up tank was full and a small amount of water escaped, I started the engine and let it run hoping to get the coolant circulating and it stopped after a few minutes. When I returned home I checked the coolant in the make-up tank with a coolant checker and it showed that I have protection to -5 F.
    I think that the coolant is at an incorrect perportion. Would this cause the gurgling sound? What should I do to correct the problem. Don

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

is there air in your cooling system?i think these are closed systems and the air has to be bleeded out.

Default Antifreeze mixture

Yesterday I took a sample from the make-up tank and it was good to -7F. I added an equal amount of antifreeze and it then tested -35F. So I removed about 1 quart from the overflow tank and what was in the refill tank and added 1 quart of full strength antifreeze, to the overflow tank and brought the refill tank to the low limit. I will have to wait until my next trip into the mountains at about 3000 feet.

Last time at 3000 feet I cracked open the bleeder valve on the radiator and antifreeze seeped out, I figure that there was no air in the system.

I think that the problem was not enough antifreeze causing the boiling point to be reached.

I'll post after the next trip to 3000 feet.