Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 1979 VW Westfaila will not start. My fault too.

Default My 1979 VW Westfaila will not start. My fault too.

Hi,

I have a 1979 Westfalia that I have stored and protected for the past 5 years without starting. I know I should have but I didn't. I tried to start it and it was totally dead, so I filled up the tank with over two gallons of fresh fuel, bought a new battery and it kind of turns but doesn't start.

A mechanic just left after taking off the carburetor and shooting starter fluid into it. It came to life but as soon as he stopped shooting it in there, it stopped. He said it is getting spark.

Anyway, do you think the fuel lines are clogged or maybe the fuel pump clogged or maybe a new fuel pump?

It ran perfectly before I stopped driving it.

Just came here to get some help and advice.

thanks,

terry

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

sounds like the carb is gummed up from sitting.rebuild the carb.make sure the jets are cleaned out.the ethanol fuel goes bad fast these days and varnishes up in a few months.make sure to get all the bad gas out of tank.then after carb is cleaned and runs,get some seafoam and put in the tank for a couple of tanks of fuel.after you get it running change oil.check plugs etc.
    Last edited by rcook52459; 08-27-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Default Thanks for the advice....

I live in San Jose, CA and don't know of any mechanics that specializes in old westfalia's. Does anyone have any suggestions?

terry

the carb is really easy compared to most.it just needs cleaned.did the mechanic put the carb back on?if he did try starting it with starting fiuld by squirting it into carb.it may start have to get bad gas out of carb.might have to squirt starting fliud couple of times and might be able to get it running that way.then get a can of seafoam run it threw the tank and might clean carb that way.got a 68 mustang running that way after sitting 10 years.should be able get yours running too.best is to have carb cleaned.wish i was closer it's not that hard.