Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Power Steering Hose

Default Power Steering Hose

When the high pressure power steering hose connecting to the top of my power steering pump started leaking I came here to get some advice but found no discussion. They want from $250 to $325 for a replacement! When I found a site that would rebuild one for $125 I realized that there were plenty of hydraulic supply companies around. I got the hoses replaced in a couple of hours for $62.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Default Rebuilt Power Steering Hose Part 2

I was premature in my enthusiasm for rebuilding the high pressure power steering hose. After I installed it, the power steering rack made a moaning sound that would not go away. I finally bought a new hose and the sound was gone from the moment I put it on and started the engine. Why? The O.D. of the rebuilt hose is smaller than the new one. The guy that rebuilt the old hose said something about grinding the fittings to go into the new hose. Apparently, the I.D. of the hose he used is slightly smaller than the OEM hose, small enough to restrict the pressure or flow to the rack. Hard to believe that the hose I.D. is that critical, but it's the only explanation I can come up with. Rebuilding the hose may still be a viable alternative, but it is critical that the hose dimensions be exactly the same. It may be that the EOM hose is not a commonly available size.

just keep trying turning your wheels left to rt and back again and again.worked at a cadillac dealership for 34 yrs.have seen it seem like it took forever to stop maikg noise and seen it quick to stop making noise.turn it awhile let it sit for air to bleed off and try again.if the I D of hose is that much smaller then rack is not getting enough fluid.
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion