Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Warm start problem 1985 Westy

Default Warm start problem 1985 Westy

Hello all. I am new here, so if this question has been asked and answered somewhere on the forum please forgive me. 1985 Westy, starts fine when at ambient temp. Drive it a few miles so it gets warm, like sometimes 5 or 10 miles even , then shut it off and try to restart within 30 seconds or so and it wont start. Turns over fine, Battery is good and all that. If I let it sit and cool for even 15 or 20 minutes, it will start. Any ideas ??

Thanks much !

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I hope you are able to solve this issue as I have the same thing going on with my 83.5. Starts fine at ambient, drive until it comes up to temp then shut it off for anywhere from 30 sec to 5-10 minutes then it cranks and cranks without starting. But once it goes back to normal temps it will start. So if you find the solution to your problem I would appreciate you letting me know.
    Cheers, Dave
    Currently 1983.5 auto 1.9L water cooled Westie. Previously 1977 stn Westie.

my car did this replaced the temp sensor and fixed it

I found some info on another site...cant remeber exactly where !! But the info also leads me to believe that the so called "Temp Sensor II " might be the problem. I took my Westy to my independent mechanic a couple weeks ago. He drove it 5 or 6 times over a period of a couple days and had no problems...of course. One of those intermittent things that never happens when the mechanic has it. Anyway, I will get that sensor replaced ( only about a $30 part if I recall) and let everyone know. Its not my daily driver so I might take a while getting this done. Also, I notice now that when I start it up cold (ambient temp) the idle seems quite rough. Runs OK on the road.

Stay tuned. Thanks for the info/replies everyone.

I just ordered a temp sensor to see if that fixes my problem. If so it is a quick and cheap fix. I was leaning towards fuel pump because if I run the engine up to temp then shut it off and try and restart as long as I cycle the key three or four times it starts again which makes me think fuel pump or injectors. I will start with the temp sensor since it is cheap from Go Westy and if that doesn't solve my issue then I will move on to fuel pump.

Cheers and thanks for the info.
    Dave

to test fuel pump there should be a schrader valve(like a tire valve)on the fuel rail.if you have a harbor freight near you they have a fuel pressure tester for $16.99 and download a 20% off coupon.don't know pressure right off hand can look up. cheap way to test fuel pump.http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ter-92699.html

Thanks rcook52459. Will test fuel pressure as well.

84 Westy 1.9L WBXR

What root causes/solutions have been discovered? I have the exact symptoms. My Temp II sensor should arrive in the mail tomorrow. Thank you.

Skip
    Elgin, IL

Well I replaced the sensor and, at this point, it seems to have solved the issue. You have to leave the battery disconnected for about 15 minutes or so to kind of reset the computer otherwise it will run like crap. My Westy is now put to bed for winter but it was starting great after replacing the sensor.
    I want to replace the fuel pump and fuel lines in the Spring but for now all is great. Hopefully it solves your issue as well.
    Hard to believe that a small little sensor could cause such headaches.
    Cheers