Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Grill and headlight guards, bras

Hi folks, Can anyone point me to a company that manufactures Grille Guards for Westies ?
    Mine = '90 Multivan Thanks in advance -Michael
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 03-02-2008 at 07:05 AM.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

There is a Geman comany, Projecktzwo, that manufacturers what they call Bull Bumpers that have the grill guards built in. You can see them on a private site, www.hsdesign.com/vanagon/ , which has links to the manufacturer at www.projektzwo.de/ . There you have to hunt through VW Projects "Type II" and "OffRoad" sections.

GTS makes headlight guards, although you'll have to order the clear as the shops all stock the illegal and useless smoke tinted.

If you're thinking in terms of a bra for stone chips, the VW factory available from your dealer is far superior to the aftermarket ones because the attachment hooks allow a perfect fit. Aftermarket one typically have broad tabs that have trouble fitting with the Vanagon's front door double seals. (See 2nd pic.)

Both pics show Lexan guards on the headlights and metal grill guards on the fog lights.

I find the bra & headlight guards adequate for even remote gravel roads.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 01-03-2009 at 08:24 AM.

I agree w/ Capt. Mike about the dealer bra. I purchased one based on cost - about $99 as I recall - and was pleasently surprised that the quality was better than aftermarket ones I've seen on other Vanagons. The vinyl was thicker, it had a nicer soft lining on the back, and it fit like a glove! I was very pleased with it. As a bonus, I ordered mine with "SYNCRO" embroidered on the right front for no extra charge. Like Capt. Mike says, the dealer CAN be our best friend.
    syncrosteve

Edited out of a post on a separate subject.

kksteve Junior Member # 465 posted 04-12-2001 02:08 AM

Not certain if we are speaking of the same type of stuff but... I have been looking into something called ClearBra, www.clearbra.net a fancy dancy clear material spefically for the front end of a vehicle.. Perfect for my newly painted westy. (as well as the headlights of which I ordered one today $134.02 OUCH) I like everthing about it cept the price.. $550... I understand Groits garage carries such a product in 4" rolls for headlights and the like @ $4.50 a foot I think ?
    A bunch of cash But I think I am going to dive in.
    Cheers all.

Capt. Mike Moderator Member # 11 posted 04-12-2001 08:57 AM

I'd "ouch" too because those prices are ridiculous. The product you are probably refering to is 3M's Scotchcal Paint Protection Film. It is a rugged 8-mil thick clear urethane film that will protect against stone chips, bugs, abrasion and weathering. This is the clear protective film you often find on new cars in the area of rocker panels and fender flares to prevent stone damage.

They had over 150 different kits available right after introduction (1994) and were adding daily, so see your 3M distributor or dealer for the latest listings. These aftermarket places that cater to specific niche markets usually jack up the prices pretty high; any 3M dealer could order the kits for you (I'd be surprised if they have old VW vans) or, if you have a friendly paint & body shop, they could probably get it at shop rates.

The also have 3 sizes of generic strips, each 75" long. P/N 84904 is 3.75" wide; P/N 84905 is 5.62" wide; and P/N 84911 is 11.25" wide.

They apply with just isopropyl alcohol and water plus a squeegee but don't think it's as easy as peel & stick -- there is a knack and it takes some care.

I don't know if ClearBra is using that for headlights as I've heard there are slightly thicker units available but they may well be proprietory versions of Scotchcal.

I have some Scotchcal on my Westy and am satisfied. I've applied at the door sills and along the rocker panel which was getting stripped from abrasive wheel splash on dirt roads. I've seen no yellowing or problems in the approximately 5 years it's been on. Next projects include the door window frame area where the seat belt buckle beats it to death and perhaps the rear luggage sill.

I use GTS brand headlight covers which are a clear lexan cover. I'm not convinced the stick-ons wouldn't yellow or dull with the high heat of today's QI bulbs.