Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plugs & Ignition harness

Default But an ohm is an ohm is an ohm.

Greetings Campers: Back under the hood of my 84' West-jetta camper I've stumbled upon an interesting spec on the coil to distributor wire. The Bentley calls for 2000 ohms +/- in resistance, mine reads a whooping 15,200.
    Rode the KLR to all the parts stores of which there are two and checked their wire sets which came in at 4,000 =/-. Does all this Ohm stuff really matter with the volts put our by the coil?
    Gracias, Steve

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

The resistance is multisource. Disconnect the fittings so you are measure just the wire, and it should measure 0 ohms. Connectors, with surpressors are 1000 ohms each, thus VW's 2000 ohm specs. However, a lot of the ignition harnesses now are carbon or graphite, NOT the plain heavy wire VW specified. [I think these exotic wires with other than copper cable conducters are overrated for every day use, I like my OE copper wire. They don't crack or deteriorate electrically.]

The fittings may not have the same suppression, either, and thus account for the differences. You say you are checking a parts store, but whose? VW OE? Go check a set of VW OE. The very few times I've changed harnesses -- I don't change until they fail specs or have visible damage -- I've bought the Bosch OEM aftermarket specified by Bosch for that model without a problem, but to be honest, never measured them, so . . . .
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 09-17-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Default Hot or Cold Spark Plugs?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I am having a little trouble figuring out forum groupings. Should I be using "Hot" or "Cold" spark plugs in my 1982, gas, air-cooled Westy (non-Calif)?

Thanks,
    Kim

I am trying to put my wires back in the correct order for my 1978 Westy. If the firing order is 1-4-2-3, does it start with the right side rear distributor contact point? I have tried it several different ways, but have a major backfiring problem, when I try to start it. Can anybody please explain how to attach the wires from the plugs back to the distributor cap in the correct order? Thanks.

Kim: Your owners manual and the Bentley specify the plugs which includes the required heat range code. You may have to convert to more modern plugs from the plug manufacturer's manual, but DO NOT deviate from the specified heat range. It can ruin an engine. See the spark plug topic. For example, the OE on a '90 Syncro was Bosch W145M2, wherein the 145 was the heat range. That has since been superceded by Bosch WP7CC+, wherein the 7 is the heat range. There are conversion charts for all major brands and for the supercessions. The other numbers and letters designate style, length, type of seal and electrodes.

deadheaddoc: Your distributor housing is marked with a small cut at #1; then follow the firing order around the cap clockwise.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 09-30-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123