Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1982 westy - EGR + Battery llight came on while driving // what does this mean?

Exclamation 1982 westy - EGR + Battery llight came on while driving // what does this mean?

I was driving my 1982 aircooled westfalia last night when the EGR + Battery llight came on while driving // what does this mean? The lights continued to stay on for the rest of the drive (about 1 hour).

Also, shortly after this happened I began to smell fumes or exhaust in the cabin. I winded down the window (despite being very cold) to get some fresh air. I then turned off the heater and the smell seamed to go away.

Any Idea what could be causing this?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I think i found the cause of the problem. The Alternator Belt Broke now I just need to rent a car, drive to from banff to calgary, purchase the belt and replace it with limited tools or knowledge. and drive to Spokane USA to catch my 6am flight!!
    Last edited by Dropbear; 07-02-2011 at 06:14 PM.

My 1982 Alternator / Fan Belt has broken. I am going to purchase a new belt and attempt to replace it tomorrow. If i am not able to replace it i am considering doing the drive (about 6 hours) without the belt in place (hooking up an extra battery to compensate for the alternator not working) - I need to catch a flight at 6am Monday morning.

Will this Damage my engine? the average air temperature at the moment is about 20'C where i am.

does any one have a link to a step by step guide on replacing a alternator belt on a 1982 Vanagon?

managed to fit the belt The warning lights went off and the car drove fine for about 600km to my destination