Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: squealing belts? engine

Default squealing belts? engine

Some times when I start my 84 westy it will start up fine and idle. Other times it will stall out. When it does start up it will start squealing. When I rev the engine it will stop. Some times when I shift it will squeal. I am guessing it will have something to do with the belts or the tension they are set at? Any help would be great> I hate being the guy with the squealing westy it sucks

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

have you tried replacing the vbelt? the belt is cheap and may need adjusting once replaced as it will strecth and make squealing sounds.

i have not just wanted to get some ideas before i start replacing things

did you ever figure out what your problem was? I have the same problem after engine swap.

try spraying your belt with WD40 while it's runinng.if squeal goes away adjust or replace belt
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

I found my problem. It turned out to be a vacuum leak at the left side air intake. Seems that the previous owner decided to strip one of the bolts. So I had to re-tape the head, buy new bolts and what you know, no more noise. It seems once the air pressure build up it leaked through the intakes and made the noise like a bad belt. I found it by blowing air into the air camber with a compressor and listed for air escaping.