Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Distribution module, fuses and wiring harnesses

I was hoping someone would be able to help with my 'mystery wires'. There isn't anyone who will even look at my Vanagon within a couple hundred miles. I hope by driving it I'm not going to cause something to break.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Default electrical mystified

Greeting all, new the westy world, with our 1986 syncro camper. Took it on its madien voyage to Yellowstone Park, 4 degrees. Ran find, woke up in am, started up van to discover no headlights, no windshield wiper, and the heater fan switch not working. Checked all fuses. Decided to head back to Helena, stopped to for fuel, lights, wipers, and fan working. Went down road, they stopped working. Question-----are they all tied together somewhere ??? do have bentley manual---thanks for any help

Default dash switch?

I am a new owner, have a 93, pretty good shape and real happy withit so far. question I have is there is a switch on our dash that even our very seasoned mechanic does not know what it is for, it is a factory toggle with an S on it. any ideas?

[Moderator note: Toggle switches were eliminated in the early '90s for safety reasons, replaced with rocker or push-on/push-off switches. There are no toggle switches listed in the '93 Eurovan parts fiche.]
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 03-25-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Remove unrealated battery topic.

This may be a dumb question as it all seems obvious but being a novice I'd love if someone would reassure me I'm on the right track.

I bought a '71 bay westy a bit ago and I'm pretty sure the fuses are all messed up. In the Bentley manual they show a fuse box with red fuses only in 9 and 10 but it's listed as being from a '74. Mine seems to have randomly placed red fuses in 7 and 10-12. Should I replace them like in the Bentley manual? Is there any additional things I should check as I don't know how long the wrong fuses were in there?

I would not just cram fuses back into places just to match Bentley. One of the ...ah... joys of owning a really old previously owned vehicle is any of the PO's may have made undocumented changes.

Begin by getting a good photo of the fuse block. The idea is to document what's there at the start. If you later forget which fuse was where, refer to the photo.

Start at one end of the fuse panel and pull a fuse, look for what's stopped working, and mark down what that fuse controls. Check the fuse for it's rating (5A, 10A, fast or slow blow) and make a note of that. Do the job systematically! Leaping around from here to there to somewhere is only going to waste time and give poor results. So... pick one side of the panel and work you way across. Sure, use Bentley to give you a hint as to what a fuse, in which ever position you're looking at, does. But check everything because maybe someone may have "improved" the wiring.

You didn't say whether or not something is not working. That is, do the lights light, the horn horn, and the fan fan or does hitting the horn flip the windshield wipers? Is there an auxiliary battery in the vehicle? There could be some very good reasons to make changes. Or maybe the PO's just flat screwed up.

Also, it's not enough to put a fuse in a slot. Is it the right fuse? Putting a 30A fuse in a 5A spot may leave something unprotected. Conversely, a 5A fuse in a 30A circuit probably won't last too long.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234